Best questions to ask a FDH when interviewing?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by anonymouse 10 yrs ago
We've had the same helper for nearly 10 years but sadly (for us) she's leaving us to return home, get married and start a family. We hired her after a very cursory process because she was recommended. It worked out well, but in retrospect I see how lucky we were.

We'll be interviewing potential helpers tomorrow (Sunday 8 June) and next week. We have a list of questions that are specific to our family and our priorities, and we are comfortable that we are covering the basics "plus".

I would, however, like to benefit from the collective wisdom here and would ask you for any advice you have on questions to ask, points to check, etc. Anything based on your direct or indirect experience would be appreciated, particularly anything "outside the box".

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
anonymouse 10 yrs ago
This is the list I have so far, which is largely culled from an old thread in this forum:

Why are you looking to change employer or not renewing?

Current pay from employer?

Current employment ends?

How many past employers have you had and length of service with them? How long have you been doing/do you plan on doing this kind of work?

Have you worked in other countries and what worked/didn't work for them there?

Do you know HK well?

Are you prepared to work alongside other DH/driver?

What qualifications do you have?

Are you better with household chores, children or cooking?

Can you follow recipes? If so which cookbooks are you cooking from? What is your favourite dish to prepare or which dish do you consider your specialty?

Are you good at cooking certain foods, do you LIKE cooking, can you use all the appliances?

Describe your typical working day with current employer- what is your work schedule?

Which household appliances do you use regularly (vac, dishwasher, washing machine, tumble dryer, rice cooker, microwave).

What age of children have you worked with in the past?

If different ages of children, what was the key changes in responsibilities / challenges?

Do you know first aid?

Can you sew? Can you use a sewing machine?

Are you prepared to take courses: first aid, English, cooking, swimming, etc...

Can you take initiatives, or do you prefer to be told things? 

Are you better left to organising the chores by themselves, or do you prefer a schedule?

Do you know about antiques and what NOT to do to them (Dettol...)

Can you sort laundry and know what has to be dry cleaned, hand washed, etc?

What are your interests outside of work- such as reading, tennis, singing, dancing?

Are you a member of any clubs or groups? (Trying to ascertain interests)

Are you afraid of dogs?

Are you religious? We are xxxx. Do you object to working for a family of a different faith?

What are your dreams or goals?

Avoid questions that can be answered with "yes" or "no" to ensure there is no room for miscommunication. For example "Are you planning to go back home before you start a new contract or can you start immediately after completing your current contract?"

Some scenario questions:

If there was a fire alarm what would you do?

If you were to go out (e.g. to empty the rubbish or get the newspaper) and your door shuts and locks behind you leaving the baby asleep inside, what would you do?

If my child banged her head what would you do? What if she later felt sick or sleepy what would you do?

If my child was being very naughty what would you do?

If my child was being rude and disrespectful to someone else (e.g. a server in a restaurant) what would you do?

If my child was being rude and disrespectful to *you* what would you do? (Answers may depend on the age of the child)

Ask anything else that is specific to your family: hygiene requirements, Saturday instead of Sunday off, special needs family members, etc.

asiaXdreamy 10 yrs ago
Rather than reading the useless written reference (everybody will have a simple, generalized and good one or everybody will choose to present only if the reference is of no adverse comment) and asking questions with no proof (model answers) , just ask about whether direct call reference can be made with previous employer. There should be some problems if they cannot provide even u agree to leave your contact number.... either the previous one has no positive comment or would not cover for the employee.

Similar Discussion is at this thread:

http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/forums/hong-kong-domestic-help/threads/123453/helper-interview-questions/

anonymouse 10 yrs ago
Thanks. (That's the thread that I consolidated above.)

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad