Have my helper already organised, paperwork done - Do I really need an agent?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Shana02 11 yrs ago
Hi Everyone,

Thanks to the help on this website, I have got everything ready to bring my helper with me - she worked for me in Singapore (past 2 years) and now we've moved to HK I want to bring her here too (and she wants to come).

I have done ALL the paperwork required by immigration, except today they told me the Philippines Consulate needs to sign/stamp the contract.

So I went down to the consulate, waited for over an hourr, got sent to multiple counters, then was told I MUST use an agent to submit the papers as it's her first time in HK.

On the way out, I passed an agency downstairs and went in - she quoted me over 5000 HKD !!!!

I have already done all the work (I think), so I am looking for a way around this rule, or an agent who isn't out to fleece me. As far as I know, I just have to get it stamped, hand it in to immigration, wait 6 weeks, then pick up the visa and send it over to my helper...5000 HKD seems a bit steep for that! (And that's not including a 3000 HKD fee for a "course" she needs to do, even though she did one before being allowed into Singapore...

Any advice/ideas? Anyone know a decent agent?

Thanks in advance,

Shana

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
lagrue 11 yrs ago
Shana, I have used Emery's in Central. $5700 all in for a helper from the Phillipines including airfarefound by me through my existing helper, so you might be cheaper.

Yes they are right, you need to go through an agency if the helper has not worked here before.

Shana02 11 yrs ago
Grrr...I was hoping there was some way to avoid using an agent. The papers are all done, and I don't see why I can't just pick up the visa and send it to her myself when it's done. It isn't a matter of worker protection, as she has been with me for 2 years and wants to join us here too...

Annoying!

Anyone know a way around it?

That's a lot of money just to go to the consulate, hand over some paperwork, pick it up when done, send to immigaration, pick up visa, post to Philippines...

Would cost me a few MTR trips, some DHL fees - not 5700 HKD!

Anyone got any ideas?

Thx

punter 11 yrs ago
I think the use of an agency was put in place to prevent problems like illegal recruitment (e.g. promising jobs without actual jobs existing). But as you can see, even valid cases such as yours get affected by it. I think the best way forward is to get an agency like what was mentioned already, and grin and bear it. There's no way around it if you don't want to change helpers.

Walojjoannetlaw 11 yrs ago
Try AJA agency. We just used them and they were really responsive and professional. We found our helper but they did the background check and visa processing for about 3000. Call grace or Sebastien at 51000640 to see what they would charge in your circumstance.

Shana02 11 yrs ago
Thank you so much! I will give them a call.

punter 11 yrs ago
Besides, the fee includes the airfare (one way from place of origin to HK). So it's not that expensive.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad