Helper Salary

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Fab2012 10 yrs ago
Hi, first time I interviewed a helper and really like her. Her current package is $6000 plus one month bonus. Should I match the offer or counter-offer to start with $4,010 and top it up to $6,000 within a year and pay the difference on top of her one month bonus if she does well? I appreciate she is experienced and good so want to keep her the same level that she deserves (I am sure no one likes a lower salary if she is committed to the same quality of work) but equally I am concerned that she might get less motivated as she didn't have to earn it in this family. Am I just over-complicating things?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
cookie09 10 yrs ago
you're not overcomplicating it. i would give her an offer that provides a lower base (e.g. 4-4.5k) and a higher bonus depending on performance.

Susie1 10 yrs ago
Agree with Cookie09, start her at the lower base, they all seem charming at interview, some indeed are what they say they are, and others are absolute rubbish. If you take this one on always make sure she has adequate comfortable accommodation with privacy for her, within your home,make sure she gets her days off, pay her wage into a bank so that it is always traceable, not cash.

Get her to have a medical,before you sign the final contract, and get helper insurance.

As long as you treat her fairly and give her time to rest, then you can give her a bonus if you wish.

Check out the HK employing helper rules, if this is an experienced helper, she may be excellent, but on the other hand could have become 'streetwise' and manipulative like our last 'experienced helper was, and our last one was so bad we never employed a helper after that. If you know the rules it will help you answer her if she tries to bend them.

Fab2012 10 yrs ago
hi Cookie09 and Susie1, thanks for your advice! Greatly appreciate it!

asiaXdreamy 10 yrs ago
Incentive given on performance, collected AFTER the end of the contract. A golden rule for experienced employer with due respect to the performance.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad