Need to send my helper back to Philippines

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by foreveryy 10 yrs ago
I hired my current helper right after she finished her contract with her old employer. So I had to request her visa to be extended. I have to send her back to Philippines within one year and I am wondering who bears the expenses. In normal contract, the helper is entiltled to certain vacation time after the 1-year employment. So I am wondering whether I need to pay for her round trip air fare and give her paid vacation days. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
punter 10 yrs ago
For each contract, your responsibility to your helper is one round trip airfare. Technically one Mnl-Hkg and one Hkg-Mnl.

Your helper must have been paid by her former employer her one-way ticket to the Philippines (hkg-mnl). Your responsibility is therefore to pay for her Mnl-Hkg flight and after the contract her Hkg-Mnl flight. Anything else (e.g. vacations) can be a gift from you as employer, or solely the helpers. We're happy to gift our helper a round trip ticket from time to time. It's cheaper now because of the many budget airlines.

foreveryy 10 yrs ago
Thanks for your reply, Punter! I really appreciate your comment.

lagrue 10 yrs ago
I agree with punter. She has the ticket HK to Manila from her ex employer. You are responsible for her Manila to HK leg only during this vacation. If she is a good helper and you appreciate her efforts, I would gift her the ticket both ways but let her know you know what her entitlement is and that because you've been pleased with her perfomance that you'll pay for both legs if she would like you too.

A fair understanding between both parties relating to entitlements and incentives tied to performance obviates problems later down the track.

foreveryy 10 yrs ago
Thanks for the advice, Lagrue!

RevJim 10 yrs ago
I'm not quite sure how you all assume a benefit from a previous employer absolves you of your own legal expenses. If you send her before she has worked for you for a year, you may have a case. I doubt it, but it's possible. In that case you would owe her previous employer for the cost of a one way ticket. On the other hand, once she works for a year you owe her round trip.

This is not a matter of what you feel entitle to, it is a matter of law. What does the law and the contract stipulate?

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad