Where to find a Sri Lankan or Thai helper?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by HKG888 12 yrs ago
Hello.

We live out in Sai Kung and have not had very good luck with our last two helpers from the Philippines. Both ended up making friends with the other helpers in the village who borrow money and like to go out to Wanchai. A year later we have debt collectors at our door, helper coming back on her day off at 3am or disappearing for hours at a time etc.

We thought that this time around we would like to try and hire an older Sri Lankan or Thai domestic helper. Maybe we are being naive but we thought this might help counteract some of the influences the other girls have had.

Most of the agencies I found have mainly Filipina and Indonesian helpers available. Would anyone be able to recommend an agency or better yet, recommend a Sri Lankan or Thai helper?

We have two Middle School kids who are out most of the day and we both work full time. The helper would need to be able to organize the house on her own without supervision, look after our dog and cook. They need to be able to read English as I tend to leave instructions and grocery lists if I am not around.

Thanks so much for your help!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Ed 12 yrs ago
Have a look here http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/helpers/ I think Thai helpers in particular are hard to come by - there aren't many - and often when they finish a contract there are many lined up to hire them as a lot of people covet their cooking skills...

HKG888 12 yrs ago
Thank you Ed. I've been trawling the website and you're right, the ones I have rung already have a job or are in the process of signing.

Anyone else have suggestions?

lagrue 12 yrs ago
I agree with BambooBoos, I have never used your website becasue of the bad rap that is ALWAYS posted about the website and Evelyn in particular. So Ed how come nothing has been done about this?

I wish that your helper website would be efficient and fully functional so that we'd have an alternative to the sharks out there! But getting no response finding helpers who have been hired out months earlier appears to be much worse for time poor employers than dealing with shifty maid agaencies......

HKG888 11 yrs ago
Agitha,

Yes, I am still looking.

Agitha 11 yrs ago

How can they contact you?

HKG888 11 yrs ago
Can you please send me a private message and I will give you a contact number?

jonthiaga 11 yrs ago
dear all,

i've been looking hi and low for a thai helper. can anyone assist.

million thank you.

little gems 11 yrs ago
All the thai Hellers hang around the two parks opposite the old Kai tak airport in Kowloon. If you go on a Sunday, they are all there especially when the weather is good. Your best bet is to go along and start talking to them and asking if they know of any friend who are finishing their contract soon. You can also hand out your details on paper and they will pass to friends. There are hundreds of them. Good luck

little gems 11 yrs ago
Sorry. Typing error. I meant Thai HELPERS. good luck with your search

MaestroAnarchist 11 yrs ago
With Srilankan maid be prepared for small amounts of cash and things missing...lol, sorry but my experience is most of them steal.... Also their language skills are not good compare to fillipinas....most of srilankan or thai maids are unprofessional....

My suggestion would be interview more fillipinas before hiring and hire the one which is new in Hong Kong...as it takes time to make friends and find out there is a place called Wan Chai where they can get free drinks and a chance to date a white man may be...lol

little gems 11 yrs ago
I have to disagree with MaestroAnarchist. My experience with Thai maids have been excellent. Once, I dropped my sapphire and diamond pendant and she found it when vacuuming and handed it back to me. I didn't even know that I had lost it.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad