Helper terminated, stuff missing...

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by dom_fr 11 yrs ago
Our helper has left on saturday and we have noticed that some of our stuff is missing. I'm pretty sure (I don't have any proof) that she stole those things from us.

What can we do ?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
bob the builder 11 yrs ago
Pretty simple answer - call the police and tell them what has happened.

Orix 11 yrs ago
Absolutely agree, report to the police ASAP. The 1st thing you have to do is to make a list of what are missing and their estimated values, check if you still have invoices or receipts. If you have pictures of the missing items, save it in a USB --> Get these and go to your nearest Police station and talk to an officer. The helper should be still in Hong Kong I suppose, police will investigate if the helper has sudden fortune or so.

punter 11 yrs ago
Or just forget it and move on while learning what to do next time.

But if you lost a Rolex watch or very valuable items, then I would think it's worth calling the police and running after the helper. I'm just not so sure how it will turn out after almost a week of "freedom".

AaliyahM 11 yrs ago
I'm with punter. Best to just forget it and move on.

I bought a safe and I put all my valuables in there. If they aren't in the safe, I wouldn't be terrible disappointed if they get taken. Disappointed yes, but not too upset.

coty 11 yrs ago
Theft is a criminal offence and should be reported to the police, if not there will be more victims and the stealing will only worsen.

punter 11 yrs ago
Of course Bob, Orix and Coty are correct.

However, if you think of the actual/practical side of things, when you report to the police there will be investigations and probably court hearings. Are you willing to follow through all of that? Some are and do actually (think about that lady who ran after the cabbie who bilked her of 50 hk cents).

punter 11 yrs ago
But what if the OP was mistaken and he/she finds the missing items afterwards? (after all it was mentioned that there was no proof the dismissed helper took the items).

glenpm 11 yrs ago
good morning out there, here's an advice from a helper like me...

police wouldn't take your complaint Sir, and you can find the answer in you statement itself.

upon leaving of a helper from the house, EMPLOYERS MUST CHECK THE LUGGAGE....

and besides, you terminated her if I'm not mistaken... police or immi have it recorded with other reason.

remember, this is HONGKONG... their police is tricky and fixed.

if you run after your helper, without a proof... you just give her the chance to hunt you. its another libel case.

zackchak 11 yrs ago
pay the months salary and move on... forget it and learn your lesson..... Maybe those "stellar" domestic helpers would be easier to find if those helpers that did wrong were held accountable

dabertou 11 yrs ago
very sad to hear your story, after hearing lots and lots of terrible stories, i am very reluctant to get a helper

punter 11 yrs ago
I add to dabertou's comment that if you can survice without a helper then don't get one.

However reality in Hong Kong is such that working parents need a hand to care for the elderly or children while they both go to work. It is therefore those who don't need to care for their elderly parents/relatives or children that can afford not to have a helper. It's no use complaining that there are no daycare centers...HK is just different.

I'm wondering what the OP did...can you enlighten us? As always, there are so many different views on how to handle a given situation.

xplogin 11 yrs ago
I was happy with my helper too, before she stole from me. Get a safe. I do without a helper now.

Elcay 11 yrs ago
Vita that's a horrendous comment to make ...you can't generalise NO " filipino notorious for stealing" just isn't true. I've had several filipinos and they have all been extremely honest, caring and GENEROUS ...which is more than I can say for MANY Chinese (if we are starting to make racist comments!)

FKKC 11 yrs ago
Elcay

MANY Chinese! Do you mean you had Chinese helpers also?...beside the several Filipino helpers you claimed to have. That must be quite tough for you, changing so many helpers.

Glo28 11 yrs ago
If in doubt, get your helper from a reputable agency, there are a few, get references, contact previous employers. If you were hiring someone to work in your business I think most of the above would also be true! I find it astonishing that so many people who employ domestic helpers, who are intrusted with looking after children and a home, that the above is simply, either ignored or overlooked!

ch edimac 11 yrs ago
Well, not sure if the police can help you on this, your helper might deny of her act, or even already have left the city.

Regardless whether they have good or bad reputation, thief or no thief, they are good at playing smart that's for sure, they work hard when someone's around and they do nothing when they have your house. There are just too many stories I've heard (stealing is just a piece of cake, they can tell you she wants to leave when contract ends for good and recommend a relatives or friend to carry on the stealing, party at your house, wear your clothes, hide minging clothes behind wardrobes, etc), and they can do it even smarter by reporting it to their agency to blacklist you, make claims of things you have not done. Even a new good one can learn from her friends on how to treat you, how to play smart.

OffThePeak 11 yrs ago
It's a common problem.

Maybe you should be asking whether or not you really need a helper

punter 11 yrs ago
It's just wrong to lump people together. It's like saying all africans are black...

Vita's post is racist.

Ed 11 yrs ago
Racism = ban... thanks for alerting me to that

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad