Cash instead of air ticket

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by AaliyahM 11 yrs ago
I was trying to book an air ticket for my filipino helper when my agent called to say that helpers usually prefer cash instead of air ticket.

We will be giving our helper one month notice starting from the beginning of January.

My question is, if I were to purchase a year round air ticket online now for the 1st of Feb, the ticket will undoubtedly be cheaper.Could I use this as a basis of cash payout in February or will I need to use the last minute market rate on the 1st of Feb?

According to the agent, it is against the law to use the current pricing (as of today). So how should we best handle the situation? Will I need to offer cash based on last minute (the very next day) ticket costs?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
punter 11 yrs ago
How much are you planning to save by getting to this much (trouble) thinking? Feb is going to be peak season for travel as it's CNY season. Besides, if you terminate your helper's contract, it means you're only going to pay for a one-way ticket to her country of origin. It's not much money, is it? Chill out...

Just ask your helper when she wants to go home (expected flight date), go to online booking of your airline of choice, compute the final fee, then make that as basis.

rakedavids 11 yrs ago
just give her a $1000 cash equivalent for air-ticket and $100 local transportation expense.

make sure she signs an agreement letter on this, all wages, all monthly allowance and that she is not entitled or owed any more money.

punter 11 yrs ago
rakedavids, have you tried this before? What if the helper is from Indonesia?

rakedavids 11 yrs ago
yes have done this before and no problems...

just make sure they sign to confirm they received cash equivalent and all other dues and there are no amounts due to either party...

AaliyahM 11 yrs ago
Thanks, rakedavids. It's helpful indeed. She does need to go to Manila. Punter, what then do you suggest? When do you feel is a suitable time to get quotes? I'm fine with selecting the first day of CNY for my quote and get an open ticket. I will most likely use Cebu Pacific. You have to understand that she's being terminated due to bad performance. As such, I won't be choosing to give her a Cathay pacific flight quotation like I did with my previous filipino of 4 years. My question is, when is a fair time then to obtain a quote? I could very easily buy her an open ticket now with Feb 15 as the departure date but agent says she would prefer cash. I may "up" the amount but I need to at least know what my obligation is to start with.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad