Health Check

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by elane 18 yrs ago
I am considering hiring someone who just completed her contract. She wants to defer her leave. I know that if you hire someone direct from the Philippines, a health check is required. Is it required if I hire a helper who is already in HK? If not, is it legal for me to require her to have a health check? Also, do you guys recommend that I seek one out for my helper? If yes, are there any public facilities that provide health checks? (I don't want to spend a ton of money at a private facility to have the tests done.) Thanks in advance for all your advice!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Claire 18 yrs ago
It's always a good idea to check a health check for a new helper.

The Hong Kong Christian Service does a Basic one ($520) and a Standard one ($820).

The Basic covers:

Laboratory tests

Stool (ova & parasites)

X-Ray (chest)

Blood tests

Complete blood count

V.D.R.L.

Hepatitis Bs Antigen

The Standard includes a urine test (pregnancy) and HIV.

It's the peace of mind that a health check gives which is important. This person will be preparing your food and, maybe, looking after your children. Parasites, HepB and HIV are not things most people would want in their home.

geiboyi 18 yrs ago
I have sent all my helpers to the above clinic, for the basic test. To make her take a pregnancy/HIV test I consider completely inappropriate - if a prospective employer asked me to take either I would be outraged and not take the job. However when I started at my job I did a basic medical, including chest xray, which is reasonable, given the prevalence of TB in this part of the world, and also Hep B for the same reason. I try and treat my helper as a normal employee.

2046 18 yrs ago
elane,

You may visit:

http://www.igoodlink.com/Med_check-up.htm

kungfu 18 yrs ago
My future helper will come directly from Philippines. Does anyone know whether the items checked on the medical examination for overseas helper is standarized? or I should specified what needs to be tested?

A friend of mine waited for two months for her new helper to come and only found out that the helper was tested positive for TB....

geiboyi 18 yrs ago
I think you'd better specify - a medical check coud just be a quick chat with a doctor:'Everything ok?','Yes, doctor', 'OK, off you go, then'.

mother_2005 18 yrs ago
With the Filipina that i tried to hire directly from the Phils through the agency, i asked for a report of the medical check up so that i will know what is done and what's not. it's a good thing i did that because i found out that she has TB which the agency failed to tell me.

elane 18 yrs ago
Thanks Claire and 2046 for the referral to the clinics. I used goodlink.. they were efficient and I received the coupon (after payment) and the health report in a very timely manner.

Re. the above post and TB. Now, I'm wondering if an Xray is a sufficient test for TB. I know that an Xray will only show active TB. I believe only a TB test (known as a PPD or Mantoux) will show that the person has been exposed to the bacterium and are a carrier of TB, however, not necessarily with active TB. Anyone out there go so far as to get the PPD or test for their helper? Also, mother 2005 and kungfu.. do you happen to know if the helper with TB you referred to had active TB (postive Xray) or were carriers (positive PPD skin test). Thanks!

kungfu 18 yrs ago
Hi Elane,

I am not sure which type of TB that my friend's helper got. Very likely is the TB(postive Xray) you mentioned as they're now doing another blood test(?).

After reading mother 2005, I have asked the agent to send me a medical report. If the TB was not tested, I will pay to get that done just to have a peace of mind.

Thank you both for the information.

mother_2005 18 yrs ago
elane, xray cannot tell for sure that the person has TB but it can show that the person has chest infection or even lung cancer. what they look for in the xray is evidence of scarring, which often happened when the lung has gone through some infection or degenerative process e.g pneunomia or TB. the definitive test for TB is sending the sputum for TB culture (i am talking about lung TB here) or even a laryngeal swab. Mantoux test can only tell you if the person had been exposed to TB but doesn't really mean that she has TB. i had a positive mantoux reading for myself but further test showed that i do not have TB. I know all this because i am a nurse and i nursed a lot of TB patients back in singapore. the helper that i tried to hire had some suspicious lesions on her lung as shown on her xray. she went through a month of anti-TB medications and took another x ray and it still did not improve. it was then recommended that she take another 5 months of anti-TB drugs. i couldn't take the risk so i had to let her go. i found out all this only after i have insisted that the agent send me her medical report. i must say i was disappointed with the agent because they tried to cover up all this. good thing i am a nurse and i can understand the medical report.

elane 18 yrs ago
mother 2005,

Thanks for the helpful info. My helper's xray came back ok. From a nurse's perspective, would you also have her do a sputum test and/or Mantoux - just to be sure?

mother_2005 18 yrs ago
if the xray is clear with no suspicious lesions, i dont think the sputum test is necessary. good luck!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad