Annual Leave, Vacation requirements?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by carynbanker51 11 yrs ago
Hi; I've tried exhaustively in the Immigration and HK Gov. pages to find the details of Annual Leave and vacations. In granting annual leave and or vacations is the employer responsible for transportation to and from the helper's home country? Are the specifications for per-diem and transportation costs written anywhere in the guidebook or anywhere else?

Any help would be appreciated.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
carynbanker51 11 yrs ago
Thanks, Malka. I will call the hotline, as it's not explicitly stated here either! Only all costs reimbursed when the FDH is entering HK, entering into employment or leaving, as in termination of contract.

Sapphire 11 yrs ago
carynbanker51, I'd be interested to know the outcome of this, and what information you are given, maybe I'm a bit dim, but it confuses me! For starters, what is the difference between 'annual leave' and 'vacation leave', isn't it the same thing?

Also, just wondering, as helpers are allowed 7 days leave after each 12 month period (I know this increases the longer they are employed with you), do helpers tend to take 7 days leave after the 1st 12 months and then a further 7 days at the end of the 2 year contract, or do they tend to save it up and take the 14 days at the end of contract? I assume they have the option of either? If they take two 7 day periods, are we obligated to pay the return airfare for both leave periods, or just the one at the end of contract?

My helper joined us directly from her previous employer, who terminated her due to leaving HK. She was granted deferred leave by immigration dept and subsequently took the 14 days leave, that she was owed from the end of her previous contract, within the 1st 12 months of being employed by us. Now, I am assuming she will be entitled to a further 14 days leave at the end of her contract with us (7 days for each 12 months employment).

I did contact immigration dept. to ask them to clarify the situation, but I was still left a little confused as they basically just told me what it says on the website information.

Interesed to know what other employers/helpers do with regard to leave entitlement ... 2 x 7 day periods (both flights paid for by employer?), or 1 x 14 day leave at the end of each 2 year contract ....?

carynbanker51 11 yrs ago
Sapphire. I will try to call them Monday and post the results here, then. I was told by word of mouth that Employers must provide a vacation leave once every two years, and all transportation costs must be given to the helper plus a % of salary in per-diem. (for helper's min. wage it is about $116 per day). You're right. It IS confusing & I don't know if there is a difference between vacation and annual leave. I do know a lot of the girls/ladies don't really want to go home at the 1 year mark of their contract. They'd rather wait for Christmas or some special occasion.

We've always given about 2 weeks per year in the summer when we are gone anyway. But this last year my husband lost his job, so we stayed in HK all summer and our helper didn't want to go. She wants to go in April for her son's graduation. We'll send her no matter what, I just think it would help to know if we are being generous, on target or even stingy with her leave.

I just want to get it from a more official source than word-of-mouth-down-at-the-pub, and find out exactly what the rules are.

Sapphire 11 yrs ago
Thanks, cara, that was pretty much my understanding of the situation, that generally, helpers will take 14 days leave, paid for by the employer at the end of each 2 year contract.

carynbanker51, I'd still be interested to know what information they give you ... I'd just like to know that I'm doing the right thing!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad