communication problem

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by sweet_24 12 yrs ago
Hi everyone,

I have a friend who worked in SG as a DH for almost three years, and now she is working for a 84-year old grandma and late thirties maiden here in HK for 6 months. The problem is grandma cannot speak and understand basic english and mandarin and cannot speak cantonese very clearly. Daughter is working fulltime (speaks few basic english and mandarin). She also has to massage grandma three times a day and do all the household chores including the marketing. My friend really wants to quit on her job right now as she is afraid that something bad will happen to grandma (heart attack or high blood pressure) because grandma is always yelling and screaming to her at no reasons at all ( she is hardworking and even massage three times a day, performs her duties and responsibilities at the best as she could ). Please help what are the right things to do.

thank you so much!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Susie1 12 yrs ago
Maybe grandma may be suffering from Altzeimers,it is a cruel disease which can make some shout and be aggressive in the later stages, and if there is not a common language it could make her worse.

sweet_24 12 yrs ago
Grandma's daughter can not speak English and knows little Mandarin as my friend can't speak Cantonese as well...she peaks Mandarin and English. maybe you are right Susie1 that grandma has Altzeimers, anyway, my friend gave 1month notice week ago. hopefully she can find a nice employer right away, as she is reliable hardworking and has a job experience in Singapore. thanks everyone!

sweet_24 12 yrs ago
just an update...my friend is leaving her employer's house. there are also lots of issues, her passport and helper's copy of contract were confiscated by her employer's daughter in law (was not living with grandma). My friend tried to ask for it after a month she arrived HK but the daughter in law wont give her documents. For the last few months she was not allowed to charge and use her phone even at night time before she'll sleep, she didnt know that her grandfather died until a week after when she went out for holiday and charge her phone to our mutual friend's house. She have to tidy up and clean the flat before she spend her off. Grandma is always yelling and nagging her without any reason. Now, she wrote all of these in her notice, the reasons why she will quit working for grandma and her youngest maiden daughter. One copy was mailed to grandma's daughter in law who is holding my friend's documents, and the daughter in law freaked out after reading the letter (she phoned her mother in law and talked to my friend) and suddenly cooled off begging for my friend to change her reasons because she knows in the first place that holding the helper's passport and copy of contract is against the law.

I hope that my friend can find a new employer as she is reliable, hardworking and dedicated to her job. Anyone who is looking for helper please pm me and i can give my friend's contact number and info. Thank you.

DiscoBayJames 12 yrs ago
Sweet...sounds like your friend was in a bad working environment, and good thing that she is now out of that situation. I wish her the best of luck in finding new employment in Hong Kong.

I am quite certain that it is unlawful for an employer to confiscate or "hold" the DH's documents (particularly her passport) and if she stated this in her letter of resignation, good on her...I would not retract it....Domestic helpers are not slaves in this country and like any other human beings, should not have their basic civil and legal rights violated...Immigration should be advised of employers in Hong Kong who may be potentially violating a DH's legal/civil rights...if it's on record, then perhaps the next DH who goes to work for that family will not be subject to the same abuse.

Syed_Scorpio 12 yrs ago
after leaving take them to labour department and file charges for holding her passport and documents

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad