Schedules Of Work

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Gdansk 11 yrs ago
Can anyone give me some examples of how they deal with the daily working schedule.

Do you have one or not. Do you let the helper draw it up or do you do it. Do you make it detailed to avoid confusion over what is expected? I go the book Helpers Helper and it has a good chapter on a working schedule that splits up daily routines, weekly routines and bi weekly routines.

Just wondered what other peoples experiences were with this. My helper thinks I am mad every time i bring the subject up.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Sapphire 11 yrs ago
Well, I would say it all depends on how experienced your helper is, and what you require of her. Every family has different wants/needs, and what may be a priority for one family may be unimportant to another. If your helper is experienced and good at her job she will no doubt have a pretty good idea of the chores she needs to do each day and will be able to organize her working schedule accordingly. However, that doesn't mean that if you prefer things to be done differently, or at a different time of day, that you can't tell her to change how/when she does it.

When we first had our helper I didn't actually make a written schedule, but I did go over everything that I expected her to do on a daily basis ... vacuum, mop, dust, clean bathrooms, keep kitchen clean and tidy, water outdoor plants, walk dogs when we're not home, making packed lunches, etc. Then there's the chores that need doing as and when necessary ... laundry, ironing, change bed linen, clean oven/refrigerator, etc. And also weekly chores such as cleaning cars, etc.

My helper is very experienced so I didn't really have any problems. However, other helpers with less experience may need things written down in order that they don't forget to do chores that you expect them to do. It's probably better to do that rather than have any misunderstandings, or you getting cross/frustrated that she hasn't done what you asked her to do.

For the first couple of weeks, after giving my helper instructions on what I'd like her do, I decided to see how she coped with the tasks and organization. Then, anything that I preferred to be done differently, or at a different time, I simply asked her to do it the way I preferred.

If your helper thinks you are mad for bringing up the subject of a written work schedule, it may just be that she is experienced at her job and doesn't feel that she needs it in writing. That being the case, make sure you have told her exactly what you require, and if there are any issues then simply speak to her and ask her to change whatever you're not happy with.

Obviously, if she constantly forgets to do things, then it's time to draw up that schedule!

BananaMom 11 yrs ago
I would say that we do have a schedule, but not one that is written down.

Certain tasks are daily and to a schedule (i.e. meals and getting kids out the door for school), whereas others are regular and flexible, such as cleaning bathrooms, laundry and going to the market. As Sapphire noted, some tasks are as done needed and so far our helper decides when and it works for us: cleaning refrigerator, ironing, etc.

If you feel that a written work schedule is needed, I would explain to your helper why. You might want to have a dialogue and understand both points of view and come out with what works out for both of you. Of course, there's a little more emphasis in my opinion on what the employer wants, but be reasonable. If the end result is satisfactory, then why harp on a precise schedule?

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad