No reference letter from work in Dubai

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by moved_to_HK 11 yrs ago
Hi

We have interviewed a helper that seems very good.

She doesn't have a lot of experience in HK - was brought over by someone a few months ago who has decided to release her because their previous DH decided to renew (rather than retire). She has a good reference letter, and I spoke to the employer who said had the previous DH not come back, she would have kept this one on.

However, the DH worked in Dubai for 6 yrs prior, but has no reference letter. So, effectively she only has a reference for the 2 months she worked here in HK already.

Is it common for Dubai/UAE/Middle Eastern employers not to write references?

Am I taking a really big risk here or is this similar to the information I would have if I brought someone over from the Ph?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Marilyn Alyao 11 yrs ago
In the middle east, they don't issue a reference letters or an employment certificate.

I have been there for almost 3 years with 1 employer and when i went home they did not give an employment certificate and i am not aware that it is needed here.

LiamHK 11 yrs ago
Hi moved_to_HK, from my experience, the reference matters. It tells you how the prospective helper gets along with her previous employers. I didn't believe it before and had took on someone told me how terrible her former maam was so the reference was out of question. I only found out later that it was her problem. Lessons learned.

globaltraveler 11 yrs ago
Yes reference matters but its true that they dont issue a letter in Dubai..Just ask her for the phone Nr from her employer there and try to call them..We hired someone before with great reference who turned out to be a nightmare so it doesnt mean anything..Just see how you feel about her..I wouldnt worry about it as long as you happy with her..

Love2Shop 11 yrs ago
My first helper got her expat bf, whom she was having an affair with, to fake a reference letter and to even go as far as to pretend to be my husband.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad