Use Agencies or Hire Directly?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by fourjays 11 yrs ago
I need advice regarding the 'better way' of hiring a helper. I am wondering the pros and cons of hiring through an agency vs. hiring a helper directly (i.e. the helper does the processing herself).

The benefit of hiring directly is the saving of the agency fee for both employer and helper. However, I understand that agencies have a guarantee period for replacement. The agencies I've been speaking to always recommend sponsoring someone from overseas rather than a helper who's currently in HK. I wonder if they get paid more getting someone from overseas. I'd rather hire someone who's already here so that I can interview.

Your experiences and advice are appreciated!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
fourjays 11 yrs ago
Thanks Cara. I guess we'll have to be specific with the agencies and tell them we will only consider someone who's here already.

hkwatcher 11 yrs ago
If a helper is here in HK and looking to start immediately, then she is a finished contract and does not need an agency at all.

A finished contract will often try for a position that is not too hard for example, not a stay at home mom, no live in grandmother no babies etc.

I say that for a finished contract, you don't choose them they choose you!

arlina 11 yrs ago
I think it work both ways hkwatcher. Even for finished contracts, employers tend to check out their backrounds. The difference of direct hire in Phils is that they are new and green in hongkong and do not have much options if they were selected back in phils. But they can always break the contract - easily. This kind of scenario takes only one thing - LUCK.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad