Helper Interview Questions

Search  
ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Ed 15 yrs ago
Let's create a checklist of questions you need to ask a candidate helper during the interview.

We will add a permanent link to this on the helper channel.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
kneebows 15 yrs ago
Fantastic idea - and if I ever get it right I wil be sure to contribute.

Chin 15 yrs ago
In regards to interview. We should I think also ask to speak to the employer for references prior to extending an offer.

axptguy38 15 yrs ago
"We should I think also ask to speak to the employer for references prior to extending an offer."

I think references have their place, but they are not THAT important. If a person feels right after a good interview, references may just muddle the opinion. Especially if the person just didn't have good chemistry with a previous employer.

Zorglub 15 yrs ago
On the other hand, it may be useful information to know why there was no chemistry with the former employer.

It could be a good way to find out that the helper had qualities that are valuable to you but where useless to the previous employer.

I'd ask about experience in the areas that I will need the helper most: dog walking vs baby caring, cleaning vs cooking, etc...

Surely "situation" questions are very revealing, but practical questions like have they ever cared for families with a new born, a toddler, a teenager (or all 3!), elderly people, disabled people, large dogs or any other animal, a large household?

Are they afraid of dogs?

Are they better w/ household chores or children?

Are they good at cooking certain foods, do they LIKE cooking, can they use all the appliances?

Are they prepared to take courses: first aid, English, cooking, swimming, etc...

Are they prepared to work alongside other DH/driver?

Do they know HK well?

Can they take initiatives, or do they need to be told every thing?

Are they better left to organising the chores by themselves, or do they prefer a schedule?

Do they know about antiques and what NOT to do to them (Dettol...)

How long have they been doing/do they plan on doing this kind of work?

Have they worked in other countries and what worked/didn't work for them there?

Susie1 15 yrs ago
If I had young children, I would ask them 'common sense" questions like, eg 1. If my child banged his head in the park, then started to vomit, or fall asleep, what would they do? 2. If my child was very naugty- how would they check him? If they say they would smack- interveiw ended bye bye! 3. If my child was being verbally abusive ,or swearing to them(the maid) or anybody else, how would they deal with this? would they tell me, or just laugh and think it is funny, personally I would want to know to make sure my children were brought up properly to respect all people, and not to swear either, there are lots of little scenario's like this you could ask.

Robyn 15 yrs ago
safety senarios for helpers taking care of your kids

For example If you were to go out to empty the rubbish (presumming you live in a high rise that has a common rubbish on your floor) and your door shuts behind you leaving the baby asleep inside what would you do.?

Note - there is no right answer to this you are trying to determine if she/he can think outside the square and gives you logical options.

Such as getting security

having a spare key at someones apartment nearby

doing whatever they can to get in

calling the employer

If there was a fire alarm what would you do? (when the helper is hired go though the escape roots of the building. Dont forget to tell them to take a wet towel if time permits)

Do you know first aid?

steve567 13 yrs ago
One question I wished we had asked was: why do you want to work in HK as a domestic helper?" As it turned out our helper came from a pretty well off family and really didn't need to be here working for us. Maybe that's why she quit after less than two weeks.

star tropper 13 yrs ago
Open questions, where the answer is not yes or no:

e.g.

1. describe what a typical work day is like - can you tell me the sequence of your work schedule.

2. also common sense question about safety with children and general hygiene too these are important.

i once had a helper who is personally and professionally unhygienic. it was terrible to live with her and despite our best effort to improve the situation, it got worse.

John McV 13 yrs ago
Well said beancurd.....too many expats think this is a one way street!!

bertie777 13 yrs ago
Thanks all- this is useful. I'm about to interview a helper and here is list of questions I'm planning to use/leverage:

Why are you looking to change employer or not renewing?

Current pay from employer?

Current employment ends?

How many past employers have you had and length of service with them?

Describe your typical working day with current employer- what is your work schedule?

What is your martial status?

Do you have any children?

What qualifications do you have?

Can you cook?

Can you follow recipes? If so which cookbooks are you cooking from?

Are you better with household chores, children or cooking?

Do you love working with children?

What age of children have you worked with in the past? If different ages of children, what was the key changes in responsibilities / challenges?

If my child banged his head in the part and then felt sick or sleepy what would you do?

If my child was being very naughty what would you do?

Can they take initiatives, or do you prefer to be told things? 

Do you know first aid?

Can you sew?

What are your interests outside of work- such as reading, tennis?

What are your dreams or goals?

Are you religious? If so which religion?

Are you prepared to work alongside another domestic helper?

How long do you plan to do you plan to do this sort of work?

Do you know HK well?

Additional notes / guidelines:

Able to work on Sundays- mornings

Ok with live out arrangement

Hygiene is a priority

Honesty is a priority

suvi 13 yrs ago
Avoid questions that can be answered with "yes" or "no" to ensure there is no room for miscommunication, for example "Are you planning to go back home before you start a new contract or can you start immediately after completing your current contract?"

I find it best to ask about the typical day and insert my questions, for example, for dinner "What is your speciality that you can cook very well?" I then get into the details of the ingredients and how the dish is prepared. The answers vary from heating up ready-made tomato sauce and pasta to gourmet meal made from scratch, and is revealing in many levels. Too often I find the candidate tries to give me the answer that she thinks I want to hear instead of what really is her speciality.

The best interview question is the one that doesn't have a right or wrong answer, is specific/important to you and will reveal how the interviewee will handle a situation when she is faced with unknown and will have to think for herself. Unfortunately, this is difficult to accomplish with pre-planning.

gici 12 yrs ago
more questions i find very useful : what did you like the best about your prevuos employer and what do yo really hate about him? what do you do on sundays? and are you will to attend any course (first aid etc etc)?

hkwatcher 12 yrs ago
gici

I don't agree that asking what you hate about your previous employer is a good way to guage her ability to work for you. Culturally, most helpers would not say this kind of thing. I've never been asked this in any interview in my life. I don't think it is a fair question.

Asking what they do on Sundays is ok, but there aren't many choices for them to spend their time anyway. It's either with friends in Central, outside somewhere along the street or at church. What else would they do?

axptguy38 12 yrs ago
Helpers do much more than that. Just some examples of what our helpers do:

- Read books or watch movies in their room.

- Take martial arts lessons.

- Go our running or hiking.

- Participate in community activities with their regional association. For example they put on shows and such.

- Play in a basketball tournament.

- Go to the movies.

- Go shopping.

Scotslady 10 yrs ago
I never hire a helper unless I can speak directly to their previous employer, who would be the same sex & nationality as myself (there are cultural differences/standards even between UK/USA/AUS employers) and ask some nitty gritty questions. A lot of previous employers leave letters of reference, and do not feel comfortable mentioning the down side of the helper in writing. I have not yet met a helper in the last 20 years that did not get into debt & start asking for personal loans during the contract! There are also a lot of drama queens/martyrs around.

asiaXdreamy 10 yrs ago
Rather than reading the uselesswritten reference , just ask about whether direct call reference can be made with previous employer. There should be some problems if they cannot provide even u leave the contact. Either the previous one has no positive comment or would not cover for the employee.

asiaXdreamy 10 yrs ago
GIE.

Thanks for sharing your very good experience and positive attitude to pave trust and reveal the facts honestly , by making available just a phone call reference to the next employer. Yes, both sides have to respect each other and help build the better relationship bit by bit from heart to heart.

Your employer-employee experience did demonstrate a good model for the others to take reference.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad