DH has heart attack can no longer work

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by aventino68 12 yrs ago
Hi, will talk with immigration but would like to hear from anyone who has a DH who is off on sick leave and can no longer work, actually won't be able to return to work. How was immigration in providing answers to this. Doc says will take years and years to recover so I'd like to get them back to their family.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Susie1 12 yrs ago
Hi,

Sorry about your helper, she obviously has had a very serious problem if the dr says she will never be fit for work, ideally she should be with her family back home as soon as fit to travel in case there are any more life threatening occurences.

I have copied and pasted the Labour dept's help for employers, there may be information on page 15 which will help, I don't know how near to the end of contract your helper is, or if she is fit to travel yet after a heart attack, but you would have to ask the Dr about that, before making arrangements for her to fly.

Have you any health insurance for you helper?, there may be a clause on the policy which helps with medical costs and repatriation if she is unfit for work.

You may have to pay her 4/5th salary per month till the end of contract, plus air fares one way to her home town.

http://www.labour.gov.hk/eng/public/wcp/FDHguide.pdf look at page 15

aventino68 12 yrs ago
the 4/5 salary is sick leave capped at 120 days (approx 4 months) so that wouldn't get me to end of contract. The help for employers doesn't cover a dh unable to work until,the end of her contract

aventino68 12 yrs ago
She is on sick leave at the moment and it states you cant terminate a dh while on sick leave. So if I get a letter from the doctor saying she can't work and won't recover well enough to then I am ok to pay her out?

Susie1 12 yrs ago
Your best bet is to speak to Imm and the labour dept, as sick leave is capped at 120 days, then you may only have to pay 120 x 4/5th of her salary, before letting her go immediately, providing it is safe for her to fly home. I would really get a letter from her Dr stating she is fit to fly, and she can't work anymore, then you have yourself covered should anything happen to her on the journey. Perhaps when you contact Imm and Labour dept you get their recommendation in writing, so that your helper or any relatives can never claim she has been unfairly dismissed whilst on sick leave.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad