Moving to HK, Rent or Service Apartment?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by superman50 11 yrs ago
Hi guys,

I'm planning to move to HK end of the year or next year. I have a budget of 12K HKD a month for accomodation, I know this is not a lot but I don't need to live in central and I can stay anywhere in the New Territories.

I will be there for a year, so any idea if normal rent or service apartment will be a better choice? I'm thinking of service apartment but I don't think my budget of 12K will be sufficient for service apartment because I don't feel like buying furnitures and etc.

Oh btw, there will only be 2 of us, so I only a 1 bed room unit or a studio. And I'm not a westerner either so integration into local society is not an issue for me.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
superman50 11 yrs ago
Thank you Cara for your reply, will I be able to get a decent apartment in the New Territories with no more than 12K a month? And what is the rental market like in HK? Will it be hard to get a rental?

Ed 11 yrs ago
You can check prices and special offers from most serviced apartments in HK here http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/property/serviced.asp

tieniefraser 11 yrs ago
We recently moved to Tai Wai , KA TIN COURT , rental here is fair , and we love it , much more clean and no noise and sooooo nice for cycling and MTR is near , as always in HK , I'm also Westerner , but love the locals and love to intigrate with them , only way to really get to know a country , mix with locals ....no nightlife around here but that's not my scene anyway , give me the mountains , bicycle and clean air and no noise at night ......aAdvice , the estate agents at the TAI WAI MTR exit are more expensive , rather go 2 km away with mini bus 803 K and find real good agent here very close to Hing Keng village or Ka Tin Court .....I pay 11 K for 500 sq feet 2 bedroom , furniture is cheap anyway , some even give stuff away and you do not need to furnish heavily , nice bed , TV , music system , fridge , washing machine , few odds and ends ,lounge .....15 to 20 K furnish complete place ....i love it here

superman50 11 yrs ago
Thanks so much guys for the valuable advise. Sorry but I don't mean westerner can't integrate with the local what I really meant was I dont need the expat lifestyle, I don't need clubbing, imported beer, western foods and etc.

Any way, can someone advise me of how rental market is like in HK? Is it hard to get a rental?

lost expat 11 yrs ago
Serviced apartments charge for the short term, often 2 months minimum now. Their service is the same as in other new buildings with proper management, plus cleaning of your apt.

You should also expect to be able to increase your budget for rent every year.

&&& 11 yrs ago
Tuen Wan - some parts is nice. TW has mtr.

Lucane01 11 yrs ago
Park Island - one or two bedroom apartments in the 12k range if you are persistent.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad