Help please, about Background Check.

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by angusbeeff 11 yrs ago
Hi there, my sister applied a bank MT job and shes very close to get an offer.

Now, we found the lousy college in Australia she graduated from lost her record. All my sister has now is just a certificate and transcript from that college.

Few weeks ago my mom got inspired by her friends and wanted to frame my sister's degree certificate, so then my sis applied for a new cert. there wasn't any reply for weeks, we called a couple of times and finally got a reply saying "we dun have your record."

We have the real certificate in here and eventually we could sort this out with the college since we got the real cert and.... we r able to trace the billing record, I supposed.

Anyway, my question is, will the bank check my sis' school record? like, was the form she filled out before interview a consent form or.....

Since this issue isnt sorted yet, if the bank did check her school record, she's going to be black-listed or even go to court... so much trouble.

do you think if she should take this risk to accept the MT job offer from bank?

she really doesnt want to miss this chance.

Thanks for your time to read all these.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
angusbeeff 11 yrs ago
My sis did take a picture of her cert and has sent them to the school, they didnt reply till we called them 3,4 days later. They said since they dun have my sis' record on file, there is nothing they could do at the moment. They have asked their IT dep and got a reply saying it might be the server's problem if the cert is real and might not be able to retrieve it back? what they are gonna do is to do whatever they could do to verify my sis'.............................. *sigh* anyway, they are working on it.

My sis tried to contact her bank in Oz for transaction records but the bank has deleted the records since my sis had closed her account 2 years ago. and she didn't keep any receipt. What a school, and what a sister............. :(

going to post them a high resulotion copy.... if its not enough, might just go all the way over to Sydney with the real cert personally but definately not gonna post it to the school.

and contact the Australian Education Dep something.... so time consuming

I admire how efficient the government and organisations in Hong Kong are!

Oski 11 yrs ago
Since your sister has a copy of her certificate, this is not a big problem.

Most employers will accept the certificate as proof of her education.

Universities losing records is not something new. Except for sensitive positions, typical employment background check usually will accept records/certificates submitted by the employee.

In the worst case, even if the bank HR has an issue, they will usually contact your sister first and get her side of the story.

It is not a big deal, not to worry.

lagrue 11 yrs ago
Don't allow the bank in Australia to fob you off, they are required BY LAW to keep their records for at least 7 years, so 2 years later they will most certainly have the records. Your sister needs to be able to prove her identity and then she will be able to retrieve her records.

Don't get too stressed about your sister's situation. If you both have not done anything wrong, you won't get in trouble with the law, particularly if you have the orginal certificate in hand.

associates 11 yrs ago
There is nothing wrong with taking the job so long as yoiur sister is being truthful; if she graduated, she graduated and proof of that is a separate question.

Weir & Associates

Solicitors & Notaries

16th Floor Tak Shing House

20 Des Voeux Road Central

Hong Kong

Tel : 2526-1767

Fax 2868-3568

Email : WeirLaw@HongKongLaw.com

www.HongKongLaw.com

angusbeeff 11 yrs ago
Thanks guys, it's sorted. The school replied they will retrieve my sister's record .

;p

Btw, I'm just curious, my best friend he's pretty rich, owned 3 properties when he's at 30 n his mom got heaps more properties in hk and china.

He owed about $25k USD to a British bank in UK since like 3,4 years ago and he didn't bother to repay the money, somehow it's not affecting his life or records as long as he doesn't go back to Britain?

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad