Playmat

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by honeypie 17 yrs ago
What playmat is best for babies to crawl? are the alphabel mats good? I have limited space in my living room so i prefer something that can be folded or rolled up at night time. Thanks.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
hkchoichoi 17 yrs ago
I have the alphabet mat - very functional and cute - but it comes apart...and my kids have chewed on more than few of the pieces...and it's a pain to clean under it and vacuum - logistically it is a bit of a nightmare in terms of keeping it clean.

In Seoul, I got this great, cushy, mat - easy to clean, a bit heavy to move, but only because it is so padded, and has a nice colorful picture. I've HEARD that these are available at jusco -although I don't know. They are great - I even tried them out to see if my own head would hurt with a conk on the ground - and I was fine.

http://www.kidslandusa.com/brand/lg/gyms-playmats/livart-playmat-mong-e.php

this is a picture of one - but it stinks, but you can't see what it is exactly. They are heavy but you can fold it and store, and they are durable and very easy to clean. They are on the side of my toddlers bed in case she falls in the middle of the night!

mayafox 17 yrs ago
I have the alphabet squares and my 8 month old just spent the afternoon valiantly learning to crawl on them!

Bubs is too young to wreak much havoc with them so for now, I an very happy with the purchase -- they only cost about $200 from Japan Home Stores. I stack them up at the end of the day so hubby and I can reclaim the living room in the evenings. To clean, I just wipe them down with a soapy sponge and rinse with a wet towel. So far this has been pretty hassle-free.

honeypie 17 yrs ago
Thanks....hkchoichoi, how can it be folded?

hkchoichoi 17 yrs ago
hmmm..

it's sort of flexible - the closest thing I can compare it to is sort of like a thick yoga mat or gymnastics mat.. It folds quite well - no special tricks. (it comes folded in a bag.)

but the alphabet mat isn't bad - I just find it a pain to put together and take apart every day. This mat is a quick flip out and fold away (well - we just leave it spread out.)

Germaine WS 17 yrs ago
I bought a gymini total playground playmat for my newborn. It is great because it caters to the various stages...infants who can only lie on their backs and older babies who can crawl. There are several activites on the mat which keeps them delighted. There are several kinds, I would strongly recommend the TOTAL PLAYGROUND. Cost about HK$700.

honeypie 17 yrs ago
hi germaine,

i have it too, but my baby is starting to crawl now and it's too small for him. It's only good for newborn and if they are on their tummy.

crj 17 yrs ago
A cheap Ikea rug that fits in the washing machine...

In my opinion, anything else is a waste of money and only usable for a short time.

Our active baby, crawled and learned to walk on our wooden floors and he is fine. We have a cheap Ikea rug in his room, and a few nice tibetan carpets around the house, but he never seemed to notice the difference when he was crawling.

Before he was crawling, we had an 'activity' thing with a mat and things that dangle from the top - they are great for the pre-crawling stage, but sounds like you are past that already.

Wheelymate 17 yrs ago
alphabet mat and ikea rug were what we used - it's just for a short time when they learn to crawl, after that you can pack it away.

the alphabet mat is useful now for when we host playgroups - kids are bound to trip over one another and toys so i bring it out and spread it out on living room floor.

the ikea rug we used in baby's room when he first started crawling but it was more because we wanted to make that the safest room possible so that i can make a quick dash to the loo when i have to - so we have that with safety gate, pillows, etc. now that he is walking and all, it's all kind of redundant so we are glad we didn't spend too much money!!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad