Shenzhen Housewares/Furniture Permanent Exhibition Centre

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by mamadavid 17 yrs ago
Last year I took a trip with the YWCA led by Tula Mylonas who is no longer in Hong Kong. She called the trip "Shenzhen - The Outer Limits", and it took us to a permanent exhibition centre featuring housewares, furnitur and decorative objects. I would like to go back there and unfortunately did not keep any of the cards I collected, so don't know the address or even the name of the place. There's no one at the YWCA who can tell me -- did anyone else go on that trip and could you give me the name or address? Thanks

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Tulip2007 17 yrs ago
I have heard of this as well. What was your experience of this place .. is it worth a trip there?

mamadavid 17 yrs ago
My experience of the place was that it's filled with tonnes of schlock I don't need or want. But there was a lot of interesting stuff too, especially if you're after larger items and furniture. I went more than a year ago, and I'm curious to see if there's anything new and different. The exhibition centre is housed in three buildings -- each four or five stories as I remember. You'll find rugs, china, lighting, paintings and furniture. Yes, I would recommend having a look. (But sorry, can't tell you how to get there!)

annebin 17 yrs ago
I copied this on my notebook from one of the posts some time ago, hoping to have the opportunity to check this place out. Not sure if this is the one you are looking for, but sure fits your description:

YIZAHN CENTRE

Li Yuan road, Louhou SZ

+86 755 2116 1095

mamadavid 17 yrs ago
Thanks Annebin. Will see if I can find it (I'm going tomorrow).

hyperhippo 17 yrs ago
How did you get on? Was this the place you were looking for? If so, could you post some directions for how to get there.

mamadavid 17 yrs ago
Hi Hyperhippo,

In the end I didn't even look for it -- got stuck at Luowu. I plan to go to Shenzhen again next week and I hope to check out Annebin's address. Watch this space.

Goo 17 yrs ago
I went to a place that sounds like the one you're interested in - it had a lot to look at. I bought cool dishes. It's worth a taxi ride in any case. According to the friend who took me there, it's called Meiyuan Road - Art Fair Centre.

Here's the Chinese text, not sure if it is readable on this site... 梅园路 艺展中心

Good luck!

mamadavid 17 yrs ago
Thanks Goo, I think that's it. I'm going on Monday so will let everyone know.

GiaBaby 17 yrs ago
ok great reading this thread. im on a look out for szx furinture n accessories too. waiting for feedback. thanks

blue monkey1 17 yrs ago
I managed to find the link to the place - the website doesn't provide much information. But here it is anyway - www.yizhanzx.com

How far is this by Taxi from Luohu Commercial complex?

Any recommended shops for bigger items of furniture such as bedframes and etc?

DLJ 17 yrs ago
Yeah, I can recommend doing a Modern shopping tour with AZ+B Limited.

But they take you to a huge exhibition mall that is about 2 hours from Zhuhai or Shunde.

Great stuff, everything is for the export market.

They have a site. www.antiqueszhuhai.com

tly 16 yrs ago
Can someone give me an update on this topic? I would like to go to the dinnerware shop there that was introduced during the YWCA trip. Anyone know which place it is exactly? Not interested in furniture or decors, just the dinnerware. Thanks!

ceeh 16 yrs ago
As one of the posts above stated it is:

"Meiyuan Road - Art Fair Centre.

Here's the Chinese text, not sure if it is readable on this site... 梅园路 艺展中心

There are two crockery shops in the building at the front. One on the left as you walk in and the other in the middle of the buiding also on the gorund floor.

rubyinthedust 15 yrs ago
The YWCA still offer this course "Shenzhen - The Outer Limits". Gillian Price has taken over from Tula Mylonas. The next tour is on 2 April 2009. If you google YWCA ESMD you are now able to book online and pay by credit card.

Also, if you decide to travel there by yourself you can buy the Shenzhen Taxi Guide which has the address written in Chinese. According to the 2008 Yizhanzx catalogue, one of the buildings is called the "Light Industrial Products City".

mamadavid 15 yrs ago
Thanks Rubyinthedust. Have you been there lately and what did you think of it?

mary11 15 yrs ago
There is a homeware shopping trip by the australian woman coming up on a saturday in april.

bakfaiyau 14 yrs ago
The Homewares Shopping Centre -Yi Zhan Centre - is shown on the fun Map of Shenzhen which you can buy at most Dymocks booksellers in HK (eg IFC, Central Building, Lyndhurst Terrace etc.) The Centre is not actually in "outer Shenzhen" but a well-known place in the city area and you could easily catch a taxi from Futian Kou'An (the Shenzhen MTR station on the China side of Lok Ma Chau MTR) or from Shenzhen Bay. Just show the driver Yi Zhan Centre on the pocket taxi guide that comes with the Map of Shenzhen. If you don't speak Mandarin or Cantonese, take a small English/Chinese dictionary with you and you'll do fine - there is some stunning stuff. (Also some hideous stuff, but for unusual homewares/small gift items/ordering furniture it is a great place and keeps getting better.)

You can catch a comfortable bus to Shenzhen Bay from Elements Shopping Mall (Kowloon station) or Kowloon Tong bus terminal or Harbour Centre, TST. So easy and a fun day out.

Armadillo 14 yrs ago
Hello Ladies,

Im a bit confused by this. I want to go tomorrow and Saturday (staying the night) to this place but it seems that there are two places being described.

One is Meiyuan Road - Art Fair Centre., one is YIZAHN CENTRE Li Yuan road, Louhou SZ.

Has anyone been to both? I want to buy a book shelf, some chinese wooden plant stands, a wooden chinese jewellery box and a couple of rugs, plus any other candles, photo frames, ornaments/statues etc I can find.

Many Thanks

bakfaiyau 14 yrs ago
You can find all these items easily at Yi Zhan Centre. There are three buildings and loos (Chinese-style) on most floors. These shops started as retail branches for factories in various provinces and some still are. The shops all have different owners so some bargain and some don't, some will do special orders and some just want to sell the stock in the shop. You can see from the Dymocks Map of Shenzhen ("Unique Guide") that it is quite a distance north of the well-known Louhu Commercial Centre on the HK border. The range is huge so if you dislike what is in one shop, just keep looking. For non-Mandarin speakers, a very small English/Chinese pocket dictionary will help you arrange shipping if you need it.

In the same area there a number of large stationary malls which sell every kind of stationary item (eg Chinese brush stands that some people buy to hang jewellry on)

and they also sell decorations for festivals at different times of the year eg Christmas. You'll find these if you just walk around.

Outside the Yi Zhan buildings there are drivers with vans (look for a line of small silver vans) and you just ask how much for where you want to go, settle the price and pile in with your shopping. (These vans just stay around Yizhan Centre and other localities in Shenzhen have their own local crowd of van-drivers. They are often much more helpful with bags than taxi-drivers.)

If you are looking for a place to unwind in the evening, some of the new 5 star hotels have some great spots with views. (There are now more than 15 5-star hotels , many of them amazing eg new Grand Hyatt.) For a casual drink there is Xpats Bar in Futian (Australian-managed) or McCawleys, also in Futian. Actually Xpats is in the Central Walkway Mall, Futian which is an ultra-modern mall with some good inexpensive eating places eg Szechuan etc. Central Walkway mall closes at 10pm.

The "Unique Guide" map shows everything you need as there is not much info in English and some of the other maps are way out of date as the place has changed so fast.

Armadillo 14 yrs ago
Thank you bakfaiyau. I went on Saturday actually. I decided to go to the other place, the meiyrn art centre as recommended by my hotel. It was very near Hoba, i didnt end up buying anything, and I only ended up visiting one mall. I gather there were also a lot more around the vacinity.

It was fine, it wasnt as cheap as I expected, some awful stuff and some really nice stuff. Basically think of all the houseware items you would find in tequila cola or indigo... A bowl was still about 980rmb in some shops, so that is why i didnt buy anything.

I would go back, but I think I will check out the Yi Zhan next time.

I also went out in the evening. Loved the meal in 360 in Shangri La. Went clubbing in Coco Park. Was surprisingly classy and fun! Cant wait to do it again.

wclarke 11 yrs ago
This is a while ago but can we also get soft furnishings at the Yi Zhan Centre or would we need to do all that in Luoho?

Mr DL 10 yrs ago
I visited Shenzhen and caught up with David, i think he's the only expat working in the furniture district. He is very helpful, its worth contact him if you plan to head up there and do some furniture shopping. You can contact him via http://www.dslfurniture.com/

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad