Thai markets for fresh basil

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by kaileyb 16 yrs ago
Hi, does anyone know where I can find a Thai market in Central for some fresh basil? Thanks

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
foxmulder 16 yrs ago
There are shops in Wanchai market - exit Wanchai MTR at Johnston Road exit, cross over and go up Swatton Street. You should find a few Thai shops there or in one or other of the parallel streets. They usually keep the basil in the fridge. They also have lime leaves, fish paste, lemongrass, palm sugar, chilis, green peppercorns, galangal and Thai coriander - but the soup variety only. You can get coriander from one of the Chinese veg stalls opposite but you need to know the Chinese name for it. (Don't ask me). I posted a similar thread a while back and managed to get all I need to cook Thai food. I was also told that there are a couple of Thai shops in Graham St Market.

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
Many of the grocery stores also carry Thai (and Italian) basil in pots.

Pwise 16 yrs ago
You can buy basil plants at Mong Kok Flower Market for $15. Always have fresh basil on hand. They often have different types available.

kaileyb 16 yrs ago
We've tried growing them, 4 different pots and they all died, or had tiny mites all over them and we ended up having to throw the plant out. The most expensive "organic" one I got was HK$150!!! I think I'll try growing from seeds, thanks.

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
Basil needs LOTS of water. If it is sunny you'll need to water once or twice a day.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad