honk kong distance learning

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by scopiton 14 yrs ago
hello everybody

it's hard to have a precise idea about a town when you live far away.

I'm in montreal, canada, in the Mile End for those who know , and I'm requesting few informations about HKG concerning housing.

what is the price for an average non furnished 900sqft appartement in HKg in a good area. When I say good I mean with MTR not far, groceries or shops, cinema and few possibilities to say hi to your neighbour when you go to work ?

i would have a 18000HKD/year housing allowance or a 5800hkd/mth motrgage allowance.

that sounds a bit naive but I don't have any idea how does Hkg look like

thanks for your experience and advice.

S.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
evildeeds 14 yrs ago
Well you could do far worse than look on the Property ads here to give you a better idea of price but they are very much limited to a limited area here. So make that your start and then search for other property sites here in HK.

Are you sure you got your figures right? You'd need more than 18,000/month to rent a 900sq/ft property even up in some areas of the New Territories! Pricing in HK is similar to elsewhere, depends on area, transport, etc, etc.

scopiton 14 yrs ago
thanks for the info

the 900ft is a base for me to estimate pricing

I looked at the ads but it doesn't give me an idea as i don't know the town

where can i get a description of those area to know if they're poor, hype, middle class etc etc ?

thanks

evildeeds 14 yrs ago
Well to be honest HK is so built up that there is not really any poor or middle class areas as such, with some extreme exceptions to the rule. You can have a large public housing estate and then right next to it has been build the latest and greatest in luxury apartments.

What does have an effect on pricing is more location, transport options as mentioned before. Even that's changing as China has a larger affect on the market. Traditionally areas around central have been expensive with the most expensive up on the peak. In later years south of the island became expensive for luxury housing and sea views. The it was slightly cheaper across the water in Kowloon and even cheaper in the New Territories. Changing a bit now, areas such as Shatin in the New Territories can be more expensive than a lot of Kowloon and areas on the island because of ease of northwards travel to China and southwards travel to Kowloon / Island. Areas in northern NT are predicted to rise hugely because of proximity to China.

So your typical area definitions here are completely different to what you will get back in Canada. Most people will make a decision on where they live based on: Their work place location, whether or not they have kids, whether they want to be close to the main expat drinking areas, etc, etc. Westerners live all over HK, there are areas where they are more prominent but even in the deepest backwaters there will be expats around.

scopiton 14 yrs ago
thansk it makes more sense now I'll bross the internet with those informations

cheers

scopiton 14 yrs ago
to be more precise I'll work at the airport with a flex schedule so i guess living on the islamds is good choice or tsuen wan or kwai tsing or even kowloon if its becoming cheaper.

Digital Blonde 14 yrs ago
Tung Chung, my mate signed a two year lease for 1100 square feet that costs 12K.

Granted that was a year ago, and I have no idea whether that is a good deal or bad.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad