Need to ship a laptop to the US

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by HouseNo89 11 yrs ago
I need to ship a laptop from Hong Kong to the US. Does anyone have information on the apparently new as of 2013 restrictions related to shipping a laptop and its battery overseas? The DHL website is confusing in the extensive information it has on new crackdowns on international shipping of lithium batteries and I wonder how that impacts shipping a single laptop? Also, I need advice on where to get a box and what would be the fastest and safest way to ship this laptop. Thanks!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
punter 11 yrs ago
I haven't done it myself but you could just bring your laptop to the nearest HK post office and ask them for help. Or if you really like DHL, go to one of their shops and do the same...(both of these have their own boxes, and may have one specifically for laptops).

I personally would buy a new laptop in the US, instead of sending one from here.

evildeeds 11 yrs ago
HK post will not ship laptops at all

HouseNo89 11 yrs ago
Thank you for this information punter and evildeeds. After reading evildeeds response, I didn't try HK post, but went instead to the Fed Ex store in TST and they were very helpful; gave me a box to ship the laptop, case, mouse, etc. in and gave me the paperwork needed to ship a laptop given the new rules on shipping lithium batteries.

It will be expensive, but I really don't have an option not to ship the laptop, since I am sending it back after finishing an assignment for my former employer. So it isn't a case of being able to buy a laptop in the US, unfortunately. And I still have some questions about the customs paperwork since most of it seems related to shipping for commerce as opposed to returning corporate belongings. When I take the box in for shipment, I'm hoping the Fed Ex people can help me fill out the paperwork properly.

Thanks again!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad