Book club format

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by bigous 18 yrs ago
Hi,

Fairly new to HK - would like to start/join a book club. Any suggestions on what 'format' a book club should follow. I'm thinking along the lines of a book swap, once a month accompanied by a few glasses of wine. Any suggestions welcome or would be happy to join one that is already set up if you'll have me! (Living Southside).

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
chairs 18 yrs ago
Hi, have you had any response to this? I am thinking of starting up a bookclub with a few girlfriends which will involve selecting and reading one book per month with an evening of chat, wine & nibbles at the end of each month. We are all southside also. If this sounds like it could be of interest to you let me know.

amandalote 18 yrs ago
i would be really keen to get involved too

Is anything happening? I am new so i dont know enough people to get one started on my own.....

MiniPepper 18 yrs ago
yes, this sounds cool. Shall we make a start?

AdelaideMum 18 yrs ago
Have been involved in a book club back in Aust and had lots of fun. As I'm new to HK would love to join one here. Do the libraries here help run book clubs by loaning multiple copies of the same book out - this assists with people being reluctant to buy a book they think they might hate. It certainly made us more adventurous with our book choices as we did not have to buy them all. I am living Southside also.

mlkh 18 yrs ago
Aw! What about a Kowloon chapter?

aidanari 18 yrs ago
Sounds good,why not start an Asiaxpat book club?

origen 18 yrs ago
Sorry to cut-in like this, but I was wondering if you might know a bookbinder in Hong Kong that can restore old books? Would appreciate any information. Thank you.

hkkm 18 yrs ago
I'd support a Kowloon chapter. Sorry, but Southside is definitely too far to go for a New Territories resident :-)

Don't know about the library question as I've never been to a library here - I'm surprised to hear that libraries anywhere would buy that many copies of the same book. What do they do with them afterwards?

dips 18 yrs ago
Would love to join a book club.....do let me know too! I live on HK island. Dips.

Molly in China 18 yrs ago
hkkm. . the libraries in my hometown in Iowa in the States, and also where I lived in Florida regularly get multiple copies of bestsellers to ensure enough to go around. I've known them to have as many as 10 copies at the main library and anywhere from 2 to 5 at the branch locations. Throughout the year they also accept used books from the community, and then 2 times a year they have huge book sales. . sell off the donated books as well as books they're removing from circulation (which will include all those extra copies when a book goes from being a bestseller to last month's flavor of the month). They use the money for special purchases not covered in the budget. Sales last for 3 days. . first day books are usually about $5 each, second day $3 and what's left on last day will go for $1. . but they sell out fast so the best reading material is the first day. Don't know what the libraries here do, but I think it's fairly common practice in the States. Would love to join you guys, but I'm in GZ. And has anyone checked with the bookstores about sponsoring a club. My Barnes & Noble back home has about 10 different book clubs that meet in the store during the month (romance, science fiction, mystery, bestsellers, etc.) and they offer extra discounts to members of the the club as incentive to buy the books.

hkkm 18 yrs ago
Hi Molly,

Wow, the libraries in the States must be a lot better funded than those in Australia. My sister-in-law manages a group of libraries, and I'm sure that they don't get more than 1 or 2 copies per branch of best-sellers (and they have a long waiting list to borrow them!)

I don't think the bookstores here would be much interested in sponsoring book clubs somehow. I went to a few sessions of the YWCA book club and the facilitator had trouble getting bookstores to order in copies of some of the books we wanted to read (in time for us to read them). They weren't obscure books either, prize winners in many cases, just not ones that they had multiple copies of in stock.

kimmy 18 yrs ago
I wonder if there has been any progress on this...? Would definitely support one in KLN but may travel to the islands too...

susan.mcmullen 18 yrs ago
I also am new to HK, I live on the Island and would love to join a book club. please let me knoe if anyone has one that is open to new members. I also worked at the Library in Noosa Australia and wehad a wonderful selection of books that was kept soley for the numerous clubs that operated in the area.I am off to the library here in central so will see if they have such a service. thanks Susan

nss2u 18 yrs ago
Hi there

I've been in HK for 18 months give or take and am keen to join a book club too. If nobody knows of one to join, perhaps we should start one on our own?

petrarch 18 yrs ago
awesome! this sounds like a fantastic idea, i've always wanted to join a book club. can somebody make a move in terms of the arrangements? i would, except i just got here and know next to nothing about anything.

licorice 18 yrs ago
I'd love to join a book club too - live southside but could travel to Central as well. Who'd be interested in starting a new one? Maybe those of us who are interested can meet up for drinks one night and figure out how to select books, which books, etc.

taverner 18 yrs ago
Hi, I live in southside too and am also interested in a book group. I was in one in Bali but have not joined one since being here. I also have 2 friends who are interested...Please let me know if this goes ahead. Would be keen to meet.

licorice 18 yrs ago
If anyone is interested in joining one, please contact me at dktaitai@hotmail.com - I'll try to organize a meeting so we can get started : )

yankeesabroad 18 yrs ago
I am a southside resident and am in a great book club (although we need some new members right now as several people left) Our format is that we chip in and the hostess of the month proposes 2 or 3 books for the club to adopt. We now have a library of about 50 great books. At the meetings we each share about the book(s) we have read that month and then take new ones from the library or borrow from each other. No pressure to read a particular book, you can read as much or as little as you like, and you hear about good books more than once so you don't forget them. I recommend this format highly

dingcha 18 yrs ago
I also hope to join.

orangegirl 18 yrs ago
hey! i'm also interested! can i still join?

HiHo 18 yrs ago
Any book groups looking for members near Central? I am very new to HK and not sure if Southside is too far to travel or if there are any groups still looking for people. Let me know if you can help me out.

yankeesabroad 18 yrs ago
Sorry, Chicken & Orange Girl, I havent been back to the site recently--yes we still need members and have a meeting next week. If you are interested send me an email at yankeesabroad@aol.com

Ed 18 yrs ago
Moved to practical

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad