Swimming classes for adults

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by bells 18 yrs ago
Hi,

Could someone please suggest a place around Central which conducts swimming classes for adults? I have tried Multisport but they don't have any classes for adults. Just for kiddies.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
RA 18 yrs ago
You can try YWCA / YMCA depending on whether you are F or M

qvong 18 yrs ago
Try the Stanley Swim School I believe it's in Wanchai they also have a swim school in Kowloon inside Kowloon park. They offer many swim classes at those facilities.

bells 18 yrs ago
Hi all,

thanks for your mails. expat123 is right. YWCA does not have it. And I have contacted multisports. They have told me that they conduct lessons only for children. BTW, I am not a good swimmer at all. In fact, I can barely go beyond the shallow end till I can stand in the water. Therefore the interest to improve on swimming. Any more suggestions please.

qvong 18 yrs ago
If your goal is learning how to swim. How about a private instructor that gives you personal attention. If you are a fast learner it'll take you 2-3 classes and you will be on your way. Cost a little more but it's worth it.

bells 18 yrs ago
Thanks gvong. That would be a good idea. Would you know how much it would possibly cost for a class, roughly? Could you suggest an instructor or a place where I could approach.

SwimCoach 18 yrs ago
Hi Bells!

You have a private message. Please check your inbox.

qvong 18 yrs ago
Ah..there you go Bell..You got a volunteer.

Here's where it gets tricky. Where you live does it have a pool? If so, most swim coaches will come to your place to teach the lesson at your espense. However if you do not have a pool at your place of residence you need to find some kind of public access pool to go to which can get tricky because it is swim season and is fairly busy and not many are around.

Your best option, most local places teach classes in cantonese so if you are a non cantonese speaker the best thing for you would be to find a friend that is part of a club and ask them to sign you up for classes. Most sports and recreation association run classes at places such as the Aberdeen Marina Club, LRC, HK Yatch Club etc. Those lessons are guaranteed to be in English.

Private swim lesson can run anywhere from $300 and up for an hour some even charge by 30min. Guess it all depends on the coach and his/her qualification.

excited 18 yrs ago
So a swim coach makes roughly as much per hour as a lawyer?

donkey1 18 yrs ago
I think on average they charge HK$500 per hour. like personal trainer price.

RA 18 yrs ago
What do you mean YWCA does not have it? I have classes every friday evenings and I am certainly an adult. At the YWCA the english speaking members division does not have it, but the non-english has it. BTW, I am not chinese and the classes are held in English. The next session begins in July.

call Frankie at 3476 1314 / 3476 1310

http://rsad.ywca.org.hk/ click on the swim link

bells 18 yrs ago
Thank you all for your suggestions. I would first like to explore group lessons. Thanks RA and Foolonahill. I will recheck YWCA and Mulitsports. You are right Foolonahill. The girl on the phone at Multisport did say there are no classes. BTW, I am fairly new. What place is HKCC?

qvong 18 yrs ago
HKCC = Hong Kong Cricket Club.

Wiz Bang 18 yrs ago
i've done course at the y several years ago. yes the class said it is in english however if other students are chinese, then the instruction will be bilingual.. which is frustrating sometimes.

im interested to go back to swim class and the hkcc would be a practical choice for me. i checked the hkcc website and they said that for adult swimming classes to check multisport.

bells 18 yrs ago
Thanks to all of you. I am sure I will find a good place to learn swimmming. Have a great swimming summer.

tony001 13 yrs ago
i wana learn swimming

tony001 13 yrs ago
i wana learn swimming

tony001 13 yrs ago
any body there can teach me ?

i live in hong kong

roshnimanglani 9 yrs ago