Music lessons from when? - Survey

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
I'm curious to know (from experience or any music teachers out there) at what age did people start their kids with music lessons. I started quite "late" I was told (at age 6) and was curious to know what our current parenting attitudes are towards music lessons.

1. What age did your child start?

2. What instrument does he/she play?

3. Why did you decide to start lessons? Interest from the child? Heard that it increases ability in Math? (particularly for those who play piano) You played as a dchild?

4. How many lessons a week for this instrument?

5. How many minutes a day for practice?

6. Does your child practice easily? How do you encourage practice?

7. If they are still playing, how long have they played for total?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Katetam 18 yrs ago
Hi HKchoichoi,

Surprised no one replied yet.

I am a Canadian educated Piano Teacher of 17 years. I have two kids, but eldest is just 3 years old. She's starting to show interest at my piano... so will be starting her 15 minutes a week for the lesson at the piano.

TO answer your questions (based on my students)

1) The age children starts- USED to be 5 years old to 6 years old (in our generation), but now, about 3 and a half to 4 years old seems to be the starting age for formal piano lessons. (Depending on the child's personality and attitude)

2) What instrument- my little ones play piano and violin, and flute. (Piano is the first instrument) Violin around age 6, and flute around age 8.

3) Many years of research does show a child who plays musical instrument (any kind) helps develop their logical thinking, increases Math marks at school, and better cooridination.

This is also evident in my theory students. After taking theory, their math marks, and study habits significantly improves.

4) 1 lesson usually for one instrument. Unless exams, or competitions. Beginners start with 30 minutes. But very young ones might share a 30 minute lesson with a sibling, so 15 minutes.

5) Practice- I don't set in stone how many minutes a student should practice, and I don't tell them to practice everyday. I ask them to practice everything I went through in the weekly lesson, and it's quality not quantity. One student can practice 1 hour a day, but one student who practices carefully like I taught him/her, but only 15 minutes a day might end up MUCH improved than the 1 hour practice one.

In HK, I think children are all too busy, so I ask each student to have an appointment with the piano each day in the week. With 1 day holiday. (They usually very happy to tell me which day is their holiday) Parents have to agree to let them choose that day to be the holiday.

6) My students develop the habit of practicing without the parent having to holler or scream. They are motivated on their own to practice. (Harder with little ones, need the parent or an adult to sit next to them while practice)

I encourage practicing by giving very clear instructions and small sections of homework practice each lesson. I ensure he/she knows what I will be listening to next week, and how it should sound and what he/she should do at home.

7) Not sure what this question is asking. But if you are referring to how many years a typical child plays... it differs with every child and family due to many factors.

I have adult students who started when they were 5-6 years old, stopped at teenager, restarting again at motherhood.

I have students who have completed the whole beginner level to diploma level in 3 years.

I have students who jump 2 grades every year. Around 16 or 17 years old, Grade 8 or diploma level.

Many students in HK unfortunately will not complete their diploma levels b/c most of the time, at around age 10-12, they are sent off to UK for boarding school.

So, now I try to push the students who plan to study overseas to finish at least up to Grade 8 before they reach 12 years old. Otherwise, they all stop around Grades 6-7... which is a pity. They like the piano lessons and playing the piano, but due to many factors, hard to continue in boarding school.

Hope this helps your survey.

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
Kate -

I actually was originally going to send you a PM and get this information but I thought it would be interesting to get a wider perspective - from both parents and teachers. A lot of the parents on this site have younger children or babies, so perhaps they don't have anyone taking music lessons yet.

I took lessons for 12 years and was thinking of becoming a piano teacher MANY years ago (in high school) and so I have a lot of curiosity of when to start my daugther. In Seoul lessons are inexpensive, (around $800 HKD a month, 2X a week, 30 minutes each - they come to your house) we have a piano, and my 28 month old already bangs on the keys and tries to copy my fingers. I've been informally asking people around her when they start and most say after 3 years old. I was just curious about when people started.

I just want my daughter to have fun on the piano - I'm not trying to turn her into some child prodigy or anything. She just likes banging on it - so I want to keep that interest without the banging.

You hint at some personality and attitudes that a child should have - may I ask what they are? I know that there will be physical limitions - are my child's fingers strong enough and whatnot, but what sort of personality to you see doing better?

and on a totally different note = i'm worried my daughter is tone deaf. (I have perfect pitch but my husband not so good in this department so I'm worried.) She sings off key all the time. I've been trying to ask people when their child starts singing on key and no one can answer me! (or they look at me as if I'm insane.) My daughter sings off key = almost monotone. i'm hoping that piano will help her a bit in this area - any experience or expertise to offer?

MC 18 yrs ago
Very interesting topic. Here is my experience:

My daughter started her piano lesson at 5 1/2. I had thought of starting her earlier but didn't because from things I read as well as talking to teachers, they all told me to wait till she was at least 5 as by then the kids have better coordination. Now she is 7.

As far as practice is concerned, I have to force her to do it. This usually involves screaming, begging, bribing among others. Besides the lesson which is once a week, I pay a 17 year old girl to come to the house and practice with my daughter. Before school started 2 weeks ago, the girl used to come 4 times a week for 45 min. each time. Now I have somehow made my daughter do it on her own for 30 min. a day on the days that tutor does not come. Now the tutoring time has been reduced to twice a week. Guess my daughter is older and she is getting a bit better sitting down. And after 1.5 years, she can manage the notes on her own. In my case, I made it very clear to her that whether she likes it or not, she will have to learn and practice. No choice what so ever. Well. you probably have guessed, I am Chinese.

My husband is tone deaf and to a certain degree so is my daughter. But piano really helped a bit. On top of it, I put her in a choir which helps also. It is one of those unfortunate combinations where both my husband and my daughter have wonderful voice that are rare but tone deaf...

Anyhow, now with school, homework and everything else, 30 min. of piano a day is a lot. It takes a lot of my time as well as many times, I have to supervise, otherwise she will either get the notes wrong or the rhythm wrong.

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
Thanks for your response MC. I'm really looking forward to hearing from other parents. My mom had to practice with me for about two years - she took piano lessons (never had before) so that she could teach me. And she sat next to me with a wooden spoon to make sure I got all the right notes. (I'm not Chinese - but Korean.) I got "freedom" from my mother the day my brother started taking violin and so she had to take violin lessons so she could teach my brother. So then I would practice when my brother was practicing. (he had my mother with the wooden spoon instead of me.)

I had to pratice every day for about an hour and as I got older it got to 2 hours. But in high school, practicing even one hour got really difficult. But i'm curious to know what people think about music lesson and so I really appreciate your response. Let me know if you have any other thoughts.

On the tone deaf thing, yesterday I walked into my daughter's room and she was singing ABC. And she got about 50% of the notes right! Maybe all is not lost.

my thoughts 18 yrs ago
Hi hkcc--I didn't come from a musical family and I think my parents got a lot of the music bit wrong in our home growing up, so I've had a good think about this issue as I'd like music to be a different experience for our daughter. And I'd like it to be something she enjoys, not something I've got to ram down her throat.

Since I didn't really know what to do, I started Music Together with my daughter from about the age of 15 mo, from the time she could walk and run and might be interested in dancing. We've done every term since then and it's done a lot for our home (and for me) musically. The CD's are great fun, and the classes are all about taking the original songs and playfully adding ad hoc verses and movements, incorporating rhythm instruments and dance. My daughter grabs her basket of various rhythm instruments nearly daily and asks me to play and sing and dance with her. I really try to drop what I'm doing and respond happily and playfully. So music at these early ages, from a music together standpoint anyway, is about rhythm and movement..the words are often secondary and apparently, can actually interfere as language skills themselves are only just coming together. The philosphy is that every child is musical, but that aptitude can be lost if it's not explored and encouraged in the early years.

There are two main things I think my parents got wrong about music, one was notion that musical talent is inherited and we weren't lucky enough to get the genes from either side of our family. So we all just assumed we couldn't sing and that we wouldn't have any "feel" for whatever instrument we might be interested in. It wasn't until I was about 30 and an avid rock climber that I had a guide who, interestingly, was also an amazing concert pianist. His favorite genre was fusion jazz and he loved improvisation more than anything. And HE said there was NOTHING about music that was a "gift" unless it was what distinguished those at the very top of the field. The vast majority of music is learned through lots of practice, drive and hard work----no different than anything else. That was truly a revolutionary discussion for me. I've since come to believe it and I have a small bit of evidence. I've been singing to my daughter daily as well as every evening since about her first month of life. In the beginning I have to say it was pretty hard as my voice was truly awful and I was pretty self conscious about it. But I had this idea, based on lots of reading, that it would be really good to sing to her. Well, my voice isn't going on any recordings any time soon, but I can certainly carry a tune now, and it's become a lot of fun for us. Incidently, my daughter can't carry a tune yet either, but I'm not the least bit worried about it, I really think that's a matter of practice and learning for her. For now I'm just glad she enjoys it.

The second thing I think my parents got wrong about music is they forgot it should be fun. Despite all the things I've said above, we actually had a piano and we all had to take lessons and practice. I don't think I improved squat after the first two years, there was just nothing enjoyable about it. I'd run through my requisite bit of practice time and dash off to things I was really interested in. Besides, we weren't "musical" so there never were any goals or particular expectation of achievement. I don't think I can even read music anymore, which is a shame as sightreading would be pretty useful now.

My daughter's Music Together teacher starts "formal" music instruction from about the age of 5 (I think that's right, but at any rate, it's a few years out for us) and she starts with the recorder as the first instrument.

Katetam 18 yrs ago
It's so nice to see some replies here that mentions "music lessons should be fun".

It's so true.... parents forget (especially the local HK parents).... that learning music is an "art" .... it's all about art of learning, and enjoying and expressing through the language of music.

It's unfortunate that many piano lessons gets LOST in the process of pushing the students to achieve this grade by this day....

However, I also believe that piano lessons cannot be just FUN and GAMES, and that children and students of all ages need some sort of discipline and short and long term goals. Without these things kept in mind, piano lessons after a while become taken for granted for, and also becomes meaningless. Not many children at young age really UNDERSTANDS the meaning of making music, and practicing, and performance. They just simply learn that going to the piano and the piano lesson is a routine, and as long as it's not too painful, they will continue b/c mommy and daddy wants him/her to do so.

I believe there has to be a balance between keeping the lessons "fun" and yet must have some sort of goal and achievements.

I think age 4 is a good age to start b/c most kids in HK now go to playgroup and pre-nursery at 18 months...etc. The children of our generation are definitely smarter, and gets exposed to a lot more stimulation than our days....

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
Fun - trying to keep it fun. I keep repeating that in my mind.

My daughter LOVES banging - my younger one also seems to enjoy the fact that her sister makes all sorts of musical nonsense on the piano - (did I mention that my older one thinks that the piano is HERS so when I touch it she gets mad.)

I love singing with both of them (i'm not Mariah Carey but I do it anyways) and both of them like to sing along. So I'm trying to keep it fun. I haven't found anything like Music Together or Kindermusik here(okay haven't really LOOKED either) but I have a bunch of the Wee Sing CD's and that seems to do enough getting the kids ready to go.

Katetam - does the "routine" of practice a young age make a lesser student in the long run? In other words, do you see a correlation between students who start earlier hating or liking music more as they get older?

Katetam 18 yrs ago
hkchoichoi, there are many kindermusik registered teachers in HK, and also Yamaha Courses for 3-4 year olds are awesome way to stimulate their little minds musically. I wouldn't recommend doing them TOO long as I find they become SO aurally dependent, they hate sight reading notes, and therefore, it's a WHOLE new system of learning and method in learning the piano. I recommend 1-2 years with Yamaha is a good idea! However, it's a LOOOONNNGGG waiting list ! I put my daughter's name down for 3 year and/or 4 year old class since she was 2 years old, we are still waiting after almost 1 year now.

To answer your question about "practicing" and early beginners, no, I don't believe that students who start earlier necessarily LIKE or HATE the piano or music as they grow. It all has to do with HOW the child learns at a young age. The advantage of learning and starting at a young age is.... they are less busy with school work. If a student is really keen on completing their piano studies all the way to diploma level, at least she has a head start, and by say 13 years old or 14 years old, she has a choice if she wants to attempt at the diploma level.... or not. But if she starts say at 10 years old, no matter HOW hard the student works (in HK), on the piano... it's tough. Either give up the school work, or the piano lessons and practicing gets compromised. So, by the time they reach the age of 15-16, the busiest time in school, their piano becomes MUCH less of a priority.

This is very new to me, to adjust to the trend of HK student's learning path, and lack of time. In Canada, my students are all top notch, whether they are talented or not, they have time to WORK on the piano. Here, I have very talented students, but due to school commitments, and transportation limitations.... very often, a potential prodigy will not have this talent developed to its fullest b/c of these limitations.

I do believe that starting little ones early in any music lessons wil enhance their mental and physical development. The children who takes music lessons at an early age are more attentive, and more disciplined. If the child is able to understand and incorporate that "practicing" everyday, (15 minutes) on the piano is part of a daily routine. As a parent, it certainly is a lot easier to implement many other "tasks" and "activities" that the child eventually has to learn is part of his/her daily life.

Music also is the laughter of the soul, children can only benefit from making music, I don't see it having ANY disadvantage. So long as the parent remembers, FUN,GOAL setting, and routine.... three basic important factors to happy music lessons and practice.

No screaming, no yelling the child to the piano to practice, it doesn't work. It might work for today, but in the long run, it doesn't work. Eventually many students in HK quit about Grade 4-5 piano... which is very unfortunate.

Sorry, as I am a piano teacher, I talk mainly from piano teaching point of view.

Interesting topic though!

Katetam 18 yrs ago
You can reach me at pianokc2005@yahoo.com

Please note I teach in Clearwater bay, and Kowloon (Hung Hom). Thanks.

jamiekoh 18 yrs ago
I've 4yo girl. Which would be a better start:

One-on-one on piano or a small group learning that comprises of parent-child on keyboard (mymusicbox)?

Katetam 18 yrs ago
it depends on the child.

Questions for readniess check:

1) Can your child sit still for 30 minutes?

2) Does she stay focus on one task easily?

3) Has she shown interest multiple occasions on the piano?

4) Does she have good/fine motor skills development ?

If so, you COULD consider one on one lessons b/c it does progress a lot faster and more "formal" for those who are "ready".

But if not, group lessons are a great way to "check" or "stimulate" the interest and discipline.

jamiekoh 18 yrs ago
Thanks katetam! Looks like my answer is yes to Qs above. Thanks for the readiness checklist. Should try her on one-on-one firs.

Thks!

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
Hi Katetam -

thanks for your response above and the insight you provide as a music teacher. I WANT the music teacher perspective. (i'm an English teacher so I think you should also get a good sense of what is going on from teachers also...I value it highly.) I like how you just discuss practicing as part of the routine - my daughter LOVES her routine (a veer off from it sets her on FIRE and she can't seem to right herself) so I'm hoping that adding practice to it in the future when she starts will be fairly seamless.

i'm not in HK unfortunately, i'm in Seoul and haven't really looked into Kindermusik. They have a lot of children singing programs in Korean however so it wouldn't be a big deal. My daughter sings a lot at school and the teacher says she's one of the louder ones although not on key. HAHAH.

Thanks again for all of your insight. This is a very interesting thread and I do hope that more parents respond with their experiences as well.

I like your readiness checklist. That makes sense. It's just a quick way to gauge - and my daughter isn't there yet. (she's not even 30 months though.) i'll just keep plugging away trying to make it fun.

Katetam 18 yrs ago
hi hkchoichoi,

Sorry, yes, I remember you are not in HK ! Hmmm, I am sure you will find something for your daughter soon. She's still very young. Yamaha courses are for sure available in Korea. Try looking into it.

If she likes singing, that's a realy plus asset, and advantage for later on. Those who are willing to sing during music lessons will progress the fastest. (And dancing.) It's all about "FEELING" the music through your body and soul.

The readiness checklist is part of my checklist when interviewing a potential beginner, I find it quite accurate. There are a few more questions on the checklist before I accept a potential student, but these 4 are the ones that are relevant to whether a young child is ready for FORMAL private one on one lessons.

jamiekoh 18 yrs ago
Other than Tomlee music, is there anyone else offering yamaha music in HK? Tomlee do not offer english lesson for 4 yrs old.

Katetam 18 yrs ago
Unfortunately no. Tom Lee and Yamaha Courses are like peas in a pod. No one else can do these registered courses.......(Not that I know of at least). Parsons Music does their own "Little Mozart" course for little ones like 2-4 years old. However, I am a qualified teacher in that course, but I don't teach it.... it's more like a playgroup in my opinion than a Music class. It's like a Musical Playgroup. If that's what suits you, you can try that. However, Yamaha courses are TOTALLY different kind of course.

Anyways, you can also try Kindermusik, and my Musikbox, they have English classes, small groups, and a good way to start the little one off in the world of music.

jamiekoh 18 yrs ago
How bad is it to start a piano lesson (one-on-one)with a zero music knowledge (zero for both hands on and theory) kid. Signed up my daugther for a private lesson ...only then start to wonder what will she do in the first class given her zero music background. How can I help her from home? I am not a musical inclined person at the least but I can read basic music notes.

Katetam 18 yrs ago
jamiekoh, of course it's NOT bad for your daughter to start one on one private lesson ! As long as you are willing to pay for it, and your daughter is willing to sit through the lesson...... she will get something out of it!

The only concern I have for little ones who MIGHT NOT be ready emotionally, physically, and mentally for private lessons is if the teacher doesn't have experience in motivating little ones, eventually your daughter gets bored, doesn't like the piano lessons, and then say, I want to quit.... it's just once in your life to experience these lessons the RIGHT way. If you start off the wrong way, it's remembered as a bad experience. Some people I know .... NEVER take up piano lessons again b/c they say my daughter quit b/c it's not right for her.

(Honestly, it's too early to decide whether it's right or not !)

Anyways, if your teacher is experienced with early beginners....she will have lots of fun and learn from the lessons. As a little beginner, you AREN'T supposed to have ANY music background. It's just not expected!

As a parent, if you sit through the lessons with her, it would benefit your child alot... and if you encourage her to "SHOW" you what she learned in the piano lesson, and no matter HOW good or HOW bad it is... as a parent you just say "BRAVO ! WONDERFUL ! Can you do that again?" .... ANY child would be excited and gladly do it over and over again at the piano.

Hope this helps. All the best to your child's musical journey.

jamiekoh 18 yrs ago
Katetam,

Thanks for your great advise. My daugther will start her first lesson tomorrow. She is so much looking forward to the class tomorrow. Well, hope it will be a good start for her.

Katetam 18 yrs ago
Jamie, good luck to your daughter!

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
found this article very interesting - and pretty much validating why I want my daughter to take lessons in the near future.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060920/hl_nm/children_dc;_ylt=AhJS_2zKQRvTDdrWVry7EQYDW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBhZDhxNDFzBHNlYwNtZW5ld3M-

ranjv 18 yrs ago
Hi,

Just wanted to add my experience with this.My son started taking lessons when he was just about 4.Unfortunately I got the right teacher a bit late and so at 10 he has finished Grade 4 Trinity London exam.He plays the key board.Any of you above ..if you can teach theory Grade 5 of Trinity London ..could you pls send me a PM.His coaching has taken a beating ever since we moved to HK...

ranjv 18 yrs ago
Hi,

Just wanted to add my experience with this.My son started taking lessons when he was just about 4.Unfortunately I got the right teacher a bit late and so at 10 he has finished Grade 4 Trinity London exam.He plays the key board.Any of you above ..if you can teach theory Grade 5 of Trinity London ..could you pls send me a PM.His coaching has taken a beating ever since we moved to HK...

wolkra 18 yrs ago
Does anyone know of a place in Central for music lessons.

ranjv 18 yrs ago
Katetam,

Can you pls lemme know if you teach trinity London lessons or grade5?Can u pls reply ASAP

Katetam 18 yrs ago
ranjv, I mainly teach RCM ( Royal Conservatory of Music), and Associated Board of Royal Schools. Trinity, will consider... but I prefer ABRSM.

ranjv 18 yrs ago
Tell me something,my son has been so far on the Trinity syllabus..So would n't it be better if he continued with the same??Also can you teach and of so what are your terms and conditions?

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
Hi Ranjv -

Kate posted above some more information about her music lessons.

You can reach me at pianokc2005@yahoo.com

Please note I teach in Clearwater bay, and Kowloon (Hung Hom). Thanks.

She has two studios - one in each location. From what I know of her - she is well established and has been teaching for a while in HK.

Zapi 18 yrs ago
Hi katetam - i read with interest your recommendation of the yamaha courses. Do you have details of where these schools are or have a website link? I am interested in having piano lessons for my 8 year old as I find him to be very interested in music. He does not like learning all the theory and just want to learn to play songs. I know this is probably not the way to go but I really just want him to apppreciate and play music not to pass exams or attain any certificates. Do you have any recommendations?

Katetam 18 yrs ago
Zapi,

http://www.tlmf.org/course/en/course_01.asp

I don't know if they have English for these Yamaha Courses. You can contact them, and I do know there are long waiting lists for these courses.

For your 8 year old, I think a private lesson might be a better choice for him. I think the group lessons setting is good for little ones like under 6 years old..... but for an 8 year old, I think if you find a good teacher, the teacher can tailor the pace and course of the piano lessons for your son according to the interests of your son, and his abilities.

He can choose what he wants to play, and have a lot more playing time on the piano than in a group setting.

Also, it's still too early to say whether he likes "theory" or not.... once the child gets to a certain level in the music instrument, theories of music come in naturally as part of the learning, and lesson.... your child will not even realize how much "theory" he has learned by the end of his first year taking piano lessons privately! Theory of music is not a separate entity .... if you want him to be able to play songs on the piano, don't you want him to at least learn it the "proper" way? If so, then theory is involved already.... but he doesn't have to SIT down and think about it !

I believe all children should have a goal in what they do. The goal can be small, can be big, can be short term, can be long term. Without ANY goals, the lessons will become meaningless, and sometimes taken for granted, and the child loses interest, so does the teacher. Goals do not necessarily mean exams, however, if you find a good teacher, exams should be considered as possible, but not a MUST unless the child is ready. Never close out the doors ... you never know what happens as your child grows and develop.... physically, mentally, and emotionally.

Half of my present students (and their parents) came to me saying they don't care for exams... they just want to have fun and learn about music. Now, all of them are distinction standing students for ABRSM or RCM examinations. They go to their exams, with hardly any stress.....( b/c they are well prepared) and the reward is, a sense of confidence, and accomplishment... helps a lot in all that a child does from this point on......

Good luck !

rjwong 18 yrs ago
Does it really take one year to prepare for the ABRSM exams? That's what my son's piano teacher said so. We signed up my then six-year old son to take the Grade One exam but after three months of practising the same thing he got totally bored and so I told the teacher to forget about taking the exam, and just continue studying new pieces. I would really like him to experience taking the exam, and his teacher says we can sign him up again to take the Grade Two exam, but I'm worried that drilling him on the same thing again and again for a year will totally remove his interest in playing the piano. It is already a struggle getting him to practise enough! Any ideas?

Katetam 18 yrs ago
It can take less than 1 year to prepare for Grade 1 ABRSM exam. It can also take 3 years for a student to finish diploma level (post Grade 8) ABRSM exam. My point is, it depends on the student. I have students who played diploma level for 5 years, STILL playing it. I have students who started with me a few years ago, and now they are preparing for their diploma levels. Some have graduated with me in 3 years from beginner level. It totally depends on the student's pace, and ability, and also other factors in his/her life that affects the pace and progress.

Unfortunately, the system in HK is really dumb. I hate it too. In order to take the Aug-Nov session exams, you have to apply in March. It's so dumb. But there is nothing we can do about it. So one applies for the exam in March, and hope to PLAN IT well and as a teacher to plan it and pace it well for the student to be in top notch performance WHEN the exam slip arrives informing you WHEN the exam is. So as a teacher, my life is up in the air basically from Aug-Nov, until all my students have finished their exams that session!

I understand what you are talking about... the child is totally bored playing the SAME 3 pieces over and over again, and the exam is not tomorrow.

What I do with my students, and you can try to suggest to the teacher you like to do it this way, b/c some teachers stick to ONLY 3 pieces....

Play other Grade 1 pieces in the syllabus, and by 2 months before the exam, ask your child which 3 pieces he likes to most, or is best at, those three are the ones to review, and play for the exam. Also, try to play other pieces from other books, there are lots of fun books out there, and students have lots of fun while waiting and preparing for the exam. I also like to start Grade 2 pieces, and then when Grade 1 is over, Grade 2 is mid way, and if possible, I usually will prepare the student to do Grade 3 next year. That's the USUAL pace.

Whatever you do, make sure your child doesn't lose the passion for the music making at the piano!

rjwong 18 yrs ago
Thank you for your helpful reply, katetam. It's too bad you don't teach on Hong Kong Island!

I totally didn't want him to get bored with playing the piano, so didn't push him to take the exam. Musically speaking, is it okay to start taking the exams when he is playing, say, Grade 4 level, or is it preferable for him to take an exam a year? I know some people push their kids to take the exams every year just so they can have a certificate to add to their child's portfolio.

AYM 18 yrs ago
rjwong, it is NOT necessary to take the exam in every grade. If a student is capable, he/she can just go straight to higher grade. Just be noted that for the ABRSM practical exams beyond Grade 5, the student must have passed the Grade 5 theory exam first. As for myself for example, Grade 4 was the first practical exam I took (years ago).

If a student takes an exam every year, I guarantee that he/she will hate the musical instrument, whether it is piano or violin, etc. I agree with Katetam that music lessons should be fun and the student should enjoy it.

I know a lot of people who played the piano when they were young. Some of them played up to Grade 8 but all they could play were the three exam pieces and nothing else. I've even heard of someone who did a music degree but absolutely hated piano playing. How sad!

Music is lovely. So please make sure that your child enjoys it and benefits from it!

Katetam 18 yrs ago
rjwong, my kids do not take exams every year. More like every other year.... during the year that they do not do exams, we do lots of other things.... like catching up technique skills, aural training, singing, playing fun pieces, playing pieces that the student wants, and playing duets, then I time it for the student so he/she can prepare for the next exam according to their pace.

I DO recommend students to take at least the Grade 1 or 2 practical exam earlier on.... then you can wait until Grade 5-6.... b/c this first exam really give the student confidence, and usually, they get very high marks in the lowest grades.

In my opinion, it's also "dangerous" for a student to attempt their first exams at the intermediate levels, UNLESS the teacher is very experienced, and is very sure that the student has not MISSED out any knowledge, and skills necessary to move on to the senior grades.

let's just say, the early exams (at least ONE time!) is a Check point for the student, teacher ,and the parent.

AYM 18 yrs ago
Oh, just another note. I think that the ABRSM Grade 5 piano exam is a good intermediate exam to take because the technical requirement is quite comprehensive e.g. all 12 major/minor scales are part of the requirement.

In a year which the student is not preparing for a practical exam, he/she can also consider participate in the Hong Kong School Music Festival as an alternative. It is a very good performance experience and students can also see how others play. Possibly a good way to motivate the student too.

Katetam 18 yrs ago
AYM, do you really think the HK school music fest is a good alternative? Personally, I hate this festival. It's probably the ONLY competition on this planet that makes the students all play the SAME piece (you have 3-4 choices), but usually one adjudicator has to listen to over 100 times the SAME piece... then have to choose first, second or third, and also the finalists....

As a teacher, and my students, and my students' parents.... we all hate this festival. No one wants to go anymore, except my new ones, and NONE of us EVER go to listen either. It's so pathetic... you would think in HK, a fast paced, and cosmopolitan city as such would change the way a "festival" is run and managed, and the system after 58 years. It's ridiculous.

We learn absolutely NOTHING from such festivals. This is my opinion. If my students wanted to simply "perform" I gladly would organize a recital, OR apply for them all the other competitions in HK during the year that allows one to choose what to perform/compete with.... not listening to the SAME piece over 100 times in order to get the result.

rjwong 18 yrs ago
Thank you AYM and Katetam. My son did do the HK School Music Festival, which I think was a good performance experience, although I wouldn't want to put him through it too often! I asked our piano teacher what other performance opportunities or recitals there were (with no pressure, just performance), and she said this was not really done in Hong Kong! What other competitions are there aside from the HK Schools Music Festival?

AYM 18 yrs ago
Katetam, everyone may have a different opinion towards exams (even school exams for example) or the music festival. I only suggested the music festival as an alternative although it may not be the best one. It is a very open competition and the students can hear how other players in general play. A friend of mine whose daughter has not taken any practical exam yet. She would like her daughter to participate in the upcoming music festival and hopefully if she can get a mark above 80, then she will have a certificate which might be beneficial towards her getting into the secondary school they like. I'm sure that you know this is how many parents think in real life. They may not be too concerned whether their children learn anything useful from participating in the festival.

Like many other systems in the world, the ABRSM exams/music festival cannot satisfy everyone but obviously there are many people out there who think that it is worthwhile continue running for the visions/purpose they believe.

ellie55 18 yrs ago
hkchoichoi-i just sent my 3 half yrs to piano lessons,once a week ,30mins.The teacher says is okay but commented she got short fingers.just wondering does having short fingers means she is also wasting her time at lessons,eventually?

Katetam 18 yrs ago
AYM, I totally agree that beginner students, or students who never had public performance experience in HK should go to the festival at least once in their life. However, my point was, it's not a festival that is up to international standards, nor is it updated to what the needs of children/students/teachers/parents need to get out of such festivals. Festivals as such should encourage not only participants to perform, but also encourage a good audience, and also a chance for the audience and the adjudicator to exchange knowledge, and experience. This kind of festival is like much of HK's education system (bad things).... repetitive, regurgitating, and simply meaningless to a child's musical development, and teachers don't learn anything, neither do the parents. All we learn from it is, go play when it's your turn, wait until all the people play, you get a sheet with a mark on it, hopefully it's over 75, so you can get a certificate. It's just my personal opinion. Sorry for the "venting" about the HK schools festival, just angers me to talk about it.

There are many other competitions in HK yearly held and organized by many organizations... like Tom Lee Music, Parsons Music, Tsing Mui...etc.

Regarding the short fingers question:

(I have small hands, hardly can reach an octave until I was 14 years old) and having LONG fingers doesn't necessarily mean a talented pianist! It's better to have long fingers cuz you have more agility, and can reach more than 1 octave. However, it's not the only factor that determines whether the child will be good at piano or not. I have seen a Japanese pianist who can only reach 6 notes (not even an octave) ... and she played a Rachmaninoff Concerto and was a national winner !!! It just takes determination, and practice to get there!

AYM 18 yrs ago
Katetam, it's okay. We all need to voice out our opinion loud sometimes. You've made a lot of constructive recommendations here which I'm sure that many people appreciate.

msheidi 18 yrs ago
Dear hkchoichoi,

My name is Heidi Mak and I have just moved from North America. In my 16 year long career, I have been a music director, supervisor and studio manager in different functions, as well as private piano teacher. I have experienced the trend from 7 year olds moving upward to 3 year olds and have experienced a great deal of impressive progress. Children are incredible.

Fun is essential to their learning, if they're not having fun, they're lost. But a clear constructive system will also clarify and communicate expectations and progress of each child's study. I consider that is when the experience of the teacher comes in. Toddlers and young children would need a generalized music lesson where the focus is more on keyboard recognition, melodic direction, and rhythm sensibilities. Not dexterity in the fingers and coordinations. Not yet anyway.

My late father was an Italian opera tenor and had been a long-time vocal instructor in Hong Kong Baptist University. And music really has become second nature to me since I've had music around me since I was a baby. I've had a lot of passionate students winning competitions and few are currently in music schools or university in North America as music/performance majors.

I am located in Mid-levels in Hong Kong and will be happy to meet prospective students from age of 4 to adults. Please expect only English speaking instructions. Any further inquiries, please feel free to view my website www.beginwithmusic.com. Best wishes!

Heidi

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad