Smelly airconditioner

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Boobear 18 yrs ago
Hi,

Our aircons (split style) are just one year old and smell. I can only describe the smell as stale, almost like cat wee!

We had them cleaned (technician came in and sprayed them) at a cost of $600 per unit and about three weeks later the smell was back.

Any one got any suggestions to stop this stink? Would be greatly appreciated.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Boobear 18 yrs ago
Thank you so much. I'll check it out - hopefully it will solve the problem! Cheeky technician never mentioned this!!!

spannermonkey 18 yrs ago
Boobear - did this action fix the problem? I'm getting a similar problem with my a/c. The problem only occurs if I set the temp to a temp which isnt far off ambient.

spannermonkey 18 yrs ago
Thanks. ITs funny though, as I coming through HK Airport last night, via the shuttle train to arrivals and the carriages stank of exactly the same smell. I'm beginning to think that it maybe some kind of refrigerant leak.

Boobear 18 yrs ago
Just an update. Instead of calling back the rip-off technicians my handyman friend had a look at my units. We wants access to the cylinder fan down the bottom of the unit, which could only be exposed by pulling all the covers off and disconnecting some wiring. What we uncovered was disgusting. Mould spores galore. We cleaned this off with a wet toothbrush. So far so good, no more smell. Don't know why the technicians didn't clean this part of the unit!!! Thanks everyone for your comments.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad