Extra ADSL modem for Netvigator account?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by pstjmack 16 yrs ago
I have a Netvigator broadband account, and the usual Netvigator ADSL modem. I want to put another modem on the second floor of my house as an additional broadband access point - not wireless, but plugged into the phone jack.

Can I just buy another ADSL modem and plug it into the wall? Please note that I don't want to connect two or more PCs simultaneously, just have a connection in another place for the same machine. Or has Netvigator got some way to make sure you only use its box?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
axptguy38 16 yrs ago
They will only supply you with one IP address. Since you will not be going simultaneous it might work in theory. In practice most ISPs check the MAC (hardware) address of your modem against what you connected the first time, and you'll probably get an automatic refusal to connect if you try to use anything else. I don't know if PCCW runs this check.

The "best practices" way to do it is to buy a router (wireless or non) for 300 Honkies, plug that into the modem, then use the ports on the router to make an internal network in your home. Run one cable to one location and another cable to the other location. For the upstairs cable, either drill holes in the floor/ceiling/walls, use existing cabling runs in the walls, run it in the stairwell or even run it outside.

If you're willing to consider wireless life is much easier since you do the same thing without using cables. Your wireless network speed will still be vastly more than your broadband speed so you won't be slowed down.

alcheng 16 yrs ago
I agree with axptguy38, the easiest way is to get a router (wired or wireless) then you can proceed from there.

If you just want a wired connection, you will need to get some network extenders as well ("Home Plug" I think they're called and they come in pairs), the kind that just plugs from your router to a wall / electrical socket, and you plug the other unit to another wall / electrical socket where you need the connection. This connection uses your home's existing electrical wires for networking. This way you avoid installing cables all over your place. Personally I haven't tried this because of the extra cost, and my laptop has wifi so not needed.

Or the other way to go is with a wireless router, which will be a lot cheaper since you don't need to buy the "Home Plugs" (~$400). Check out the computer mall in Wanchai or Sham Sui Po and ask around.

Good luck!

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
alcheng, I hadn't even thought of electrical socket networking. That is indeed a low impact way to do it.

maddog 16 yrs ago
We just got hooked up with PCCW Broadband and also NOW TV. The ADSL modem that the guy installed has a wireless capability to it. I had a quick look, but I already have a wireless router installation, so haven't done anything else. Maybe you can look at your PCCW paperwork and see what type of Modem you have now. It could well be able to offer you wireless capability. Another option, is to run a CAT 5 cable to your other access point.

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
Yeah I know that modem. It works but it is extremely basic and much of the functionality is locked down or omitted from firmware. If it works for you, fine, but if it doesn't a router of your own is pretty cheap.

pstjmack 16 yrs ago
Thanks, all - as said, we don't want to use wireless nor the homeplug power line networking solution. So far running a cable from the ADSL modem sounds the best suggestion for us, but is there any reason why we can't just plug in another modem on the second floor and only use that one when the ground floor one is not running?

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
"is there any reason why we can't just plug in another modem on the second floor and only use that one when the ground floor one is not running?"

- Can the jack on the second floor deliver the DSL service?

- As I mentioned above many ISPs use MAC address filtering. So if it's the "wrong" modem the service might shut down automatically.

Quite frankly your solution seems overcomplex. There is a reason most everyone else does it with a router.

alcheng 16 yrs ago
"Quite frankly your solution seems overcomplex. There is a reason most everyone else does it with a router." I totally agree with axptguy38. Routers really simplify everything, that's why they're so popular. Just plug in and set up and everything's ready.

However, it seems like pstjmack is only using one computer, and assumably it's a laptop, therefore he shouldn't have any problems with the MAC filtering. Since MAC filtering only relates to the computer (network card) he is using.

The other problem lies with having another modem plugged in as a 2nd "access point" but only used one at a time. axptguy38 already addressed this in his first reply. You only have one IP address from Netvigator, and the modem may have restrictions. It makes no sense going out to buy a 2nd modem just to see if it'll work when a router will cost almost the same and will DEFINITELY get the job done. For reference see copy below from Wikipedia:

"ADSL modem or DSL modem is a device used to connect a single computer or router to a DSL phone line, in order to use an ADSL service. Like other modems it is a type of transceiver. It is also called a DSL Transceiver or ATU-R. The acronym NTBBA (network termination broad band adapter, network termination broad band access) is also common in some countries.

Some ADSL modems also manage the connection and sharing of the ADSL service with a group of machines: in this case, the unit is termed a DSL router or residential gateway. DSL Routers have a functional block which performs framing, while other functional blocks perform Asynchronous Transfer Mode Segmentation and Reassembly, IEEE 802.1D bridging and/or IP routing. Typical user interfaces are Ethernet and USB. Although an ADSL modem working as a bridge doesn't need an IP address, it may have one assigned for management purposes."

So your best bet is to ask Netvigator about your existing hardware and how you want to set up and go from there. I'm sure they'll advice you to get a router . . . as they're support team is so-so. Best to also get 2nd opinions from computer mall shops since they know the hardware better than anyone.

There's always a simpler way to get things done.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad