the truth about bananas?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
i have read and experienced conflicting info on this.

do bananas cause constipation? my almost 7 months LO really likes them, he eats about half for brekkie most days. sources like baby centre and gina ford say they cause constipation.he now poos 3x a day, but the 1st poo is always quite dry, subsequent ones ok.

but i find it actually helps me to go!

thanks....

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
miso 18 yrs ago
They are definitely known to be constipators for most babies but you'll find that some children tolerate them better than others. My eldest is not affected by bananas at all but my youngest cannot eat them. If your LO loves them and is not in pain going to the toilet I don't think you have anything to worry about. If you think they are constipating him a little just give something non-constipating like pear with the banana and that should help.

Mrs Miggins 18 yrs ago
Is eating bananas bad for a baby? I used to feed my little guy at least 1 a day as he lovs them but someone advised that the potassium may cause harm.

Anyone out there in the know - how many bananas is safe a day or a week for a 1 year old?

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
funny thing

was talking to a good friend of mine whose son had diarrhea and I said, "give him some banana." and she replied - "but he HAS DIARRHEA" and I said, "I know. So the banana will help constipate him."

Turns out she uses bananas to UNCONSTIPATE her child. She's from India and they believe a bit of a green banana will set your insides a moving.

She NEVER had heard of bananas being the constipator.

My daughter has almost 2 a day. No problems thus far. I eat one a day and I'm fine too. As long as the baby is going - wouldnt' worry about it.

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
hkcc,

exactly! people say different things about what bananas do to you....it helps me to go!

i think i shall just continue giving it to him cos he loves it and it is such a convenient food on the go...unless he really starts pooing pellets! :P

cd 18 yrs ago
Can't say I've ever heard of bananas given you constipation, I eat at least 2 a day, as does my son, my other son has at least 1 a day, its never affected any of us.

Mrs Miggins 18 yrs ago
Hi Ruth

However, a couple of people have told me that too much potassium is also not good for babies. So how many bananas a day is safe or is this a myth?

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
isn't it interesting how there are so many different takes on what bananas can do to you? was telling my hubby about this discussion. he said that as a uni student, he travelled in jamaica when there was a rice shortage so he was served green bananas with his food instead - he was very constipated after that!

@@ 18 yrs ago
Hi Mrs Miggins - I've heard the same thing but the only information I can find is to avoid bananas if you have a kidney condition.

ellie55 18 yrs ago
hey i gave my baby banana and once my helper from filipines told me that bananas make babies consipate.i never took her advise seriously until i read your posts.mabbe some babies do really constipate?

Babette 18 yrs ago
Bananas are considered binding. They are part of the "BRAT" diet that is advised when you have a diarrhea. (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast). But bananas do not cause constipation if eaten in moderation of course!

ellie55 18 yrs ago
my helper said because its binding,their pellets all seems to bind together which also makes it sticky ,lots of water will do the trick.

cd 18 yrs ago
I have just looked at this months Playtimes magazine and there is an article on food myths in it. ie. Myth.. Bananas cause constipation.

Reality.. This is a commonly held belief which has no substance. Bananas are, in fact, a good source of fibre which can help prevent constipation. The cause of constipation is more likely to be a lack of sufficient fibre in the diet, or inadequate fluid intake.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad