Bread, breadmakers and flour

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by jenifa 18 yrs ago
Hi all,

I'm starting to write my list of essential stuff to ship to HK.

I'm thinking about getting a breadmaker and shipping it over from the UK, along with several bags of (well sealed) flour.

Is this necessary? Is it possible to get a decent sandwich loaf in HK yet? Is it possible to get decent quality flour for making bread over there? I'm not sure I can cope with another 7 years with no marmite on toast...

Thanks

Jennifer

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
AdelaideMum 18 yrs ago
The supermarket bread is still quite sweet, but there are some new ones at ParkNShop which are better.

A bakery in the New Territories sells bread making supplies - including organic wholegrain flour - called Ali Oli. They deliver all over HK and you can buy in bulk. Wellcome has bread making flour but I have only seen white flour.

Have seen Marmite at Wellcome also.

mamadavid 18 yrs ago
Strongly recommend bringing your breadmaker -- the bread sold in the regular supermarkets is pure plastic. No need to bring flour -- the supermarkets stock some very good flours for bread makers -- including Allinson's (white and wholemeal), but I did not find the results with this brand very good here in Hong Kong -- must have something to do with the humidity levels, or maybe it's just the type of breadmaker I have. For white bread, the best flour I've found is Statue (from China, not very expensive). The U.S. "Gold Medal" brand also gives good results. MacDougal's dry fast-acting yeast is available in supermarkets -- not sure about fresh yeast.

Thames 18 yrs ago
If you're shipping a container over here then you should have heaps of room for a breadmaker, and I'd definitely recommend you bring (a Panasonic) one over from the UK. Not such a good choice of makes/models here when I looked. As said above, no need to bring flour or yeast.

P.S. There was a lengthy thread a while back on here when someone was doing similar research to you, so it might be worth you doing a search for it as it's probably got some useful info.

jenifa 18 yrs ago
Hi everyone - thanks very much for all your advice. It will be weird to see Waitrose flour in a supermarket - I may get all emotional!

Thanks again

Jen

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad