Cooking ideas

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by jessielibo 18 yrs ago
Please help, where can I buy saffron and marsala?

Have read a few threads and noticed some of you want ideas about cooking, check this blog, it's got some interesting ideas from a chef.

http://pjbabes.blogspot.com/

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Ed 18 yrs ago
Moved to practical

crj 18 yrs ago
Citysuper, Great, some ParkNShops have Saffron. It is expensive in HK, if you are just looking for colour some people use tumeric which is cheaper.

If you ever go to Bali or Nepal or India you can buy Saffron much cheaper.

What type of Masala? There is a great Indian dry good s shop on the street behind times square.

bw 18 yrs ago
I would think twice before substituting saffron with turmeric. The flavour, colour - everything is different.

Masala - are you looking for a ready made mix for tea ? Or specific aromatic spices like cardamom, cinnamon etc ? If you head to any Indian grocery store in Chung King Mansions, TST or even the one in times square they will have saffron and whatever spices you are looking for.

qwerty123 18 yrs ago
there was an indian spice wholesale place just behind sogo in CWB... not sure of the name of the street but if you have the cinema behind you, turn left and walk round the corner and it is on the road behind on the other side....however its been a few years since i went - ....they sell EVERY type of indian spice you can think of and at v good prices too - just buy as much or as little as you need

mamadavid 18 yrs ago
Beware - the cheap "saffron" sold in Bali is NOT saffron -- perhaps some the stamens/pistils of some other flower ... It is vile!

mamadavid 18 yrs ago
p.s. The shop qwerty and cri are referring to is, I believe, the Indian Provisions Store on Bowrington Road, just behind the South Pacific Hotel. They've got everything.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad