Korean Dishes?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by ny1 18 yrs ago
I am an HK newbie. Could anyone let me know if there are any places to buy genuine Korean groceries, any good Korean restaurants, etc.? Could you also give me an idea about the costs of Korean foods? I am considering moving to HK for the indefinite future from NYC, but I am Korean and cannot live without Korean food.

Any help would be SO appreciated.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
christine.capria 18 yrs ago
there are tons of korean resturant. If you are interested write me a message I can take you around...

Claire 18 yrs ago
When the Korean protestors staged a sit in at the WTO late last year, they did not go hungry. The HK Korean community took them lunchboxes of Korean food bought in HK. You should be well catered for here.

Citysuper has several Korean products, including barrels of fresh kimchee. Check out one of their supermarkets on your re-con trip here.

Here's the website of Arirang which opened back in 1964.

http://www.arirang.com.hk/restau.php

A couple of places to hook up with for networking are the Korean Chamber of Commerce and The Korean HK Residents Assoc.

http://www.kochamhk.org/korean/main.php

http://www.koreanhk.com/

Also check with your alma mater because there are a number of alumni associations here.

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
Korean food is a bit more pricey than it would be in the US, but I didn't find it too bad.

There is a Korean supermarket where you can order and they will deliver most supplies that you need. (don't have the number handy, but if you want, I'll get it for you.)

A TON of Korean restaurants here where you can get your fix.

Both city super and great sell soy sauce (I used Kikoman), and 100% pure sesame oil (used a Japanese brand) and Chongak Jjip kimchee in the bag. (very good.) Tofu of course is easy to find.

City super sells gotchoojahng, deunjang and some varieties of dried seasoned laver (kkim) for your basic needs.

I easily found ssangchoo (the lollo rosso for wrapping up your beef) at most supermarkets and beansprouts (sookchoonameul) also very easily.

I was lucky - I had my grandmother in Seoul send me gotchoogahloo and real genuine sesame seeds so that was nice.

Seoul isn't too far away - if you need a real fix, take a trip to the motherland!

ny1 18 yrs ago
Everyone,

Thanks so much for your replies. This at least puts me at ease overall about the existence of Korean food. At least that's one thing that doesn't have to deter me from Hong Kong. Keep the information coming! If I indeed end up going, I will print off these messages.

sam i am 18 yrs ago
There is a whole street full of Korean shops off Kimberley Road, called Kimberley Street.

kimmy 18 yrs ago
Yes, Kimberly Street has lots of authentic Korean supermarkets that stock not just the likes of gochujang/dwenjang etc but also sell banchans. Not to mention ramyun, soju and snacks. I don't think Citisuper's kimchi tastes Korean at all. It's probably kimuchi, the japanese version of Kimchi which is sweeter and less spicy.

ny1 18 yrs ago
rititt, honestly i am not a big fan of Chinese cuisine -- probably the reason why i am having difficulty with idea of moving to HK.

Claire 18 yrs ago
I've known HK people who have gone on tour to Europe and never ate the local food. And I've met people in HK who never eat HK's local food, including one who insisted that the "best" Chinese food in the world is in New York! Perhaps we all need some of that food which reminds us of "home", wherever that might be.

kimmy 18 yrs ago
I see what you mean ny1, as a Korean who has lived in Hong Kong for 20 years, I have to say that I find most Chinese dishes to be on the oily side... Not that I dislike the cuisine (Cantonese seafood, dimsum, Chinese "daily soup" and steamed meat patties are my favourite. oh, claypot rice as well) don't get me wrong! Chinese friends usually tell me home-style cooking uses substantially less oil. (but what about the fatty meat??)

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad