Televised Rugby

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by ben the dog 18 yrs ago
Hi all

Does anyone know for sure which channel the NZ v England rugby game is on (November 5th). I have checked ESPN's website, but nothing. Doesn't look like it's on channel 541 either.

I know it will be on the South African Super Sports channels at the pub, but I was hoping it might be on a Now TV channel somewhere.

Thanks!

BTD

p.s. Ed - how about a "Television" forum where people can ask others about channel / screening times of various programs? The Now TV schedule is often a bit wonky, the Now and i-Cable telephone staff rarely know about programming too, and with so many expats in town it could be a useful one stop shop for "What time and what channel can I catch XYZ on?" enquiries.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Ed 18 yrs ago
My inclination is to direct these questions to the practical forum as I am not sure how many people will check a TV forum to assist - but lets give it a go and see if it works:

http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/forums/television/

ben the dog 18 yrs ago
Thanks Ed - I'll post there as well.

The TV suggestion was mostly out of there being absolutely no central source for television listings (although the SCMP *sometimes* comes close). Now TV and iCable customer support is woeful for scheduling assistance too.

Thanks again!

BTD

Aurora Australis 18 yrs ago
Ben

Australia Network TV cover all the Rugby. Try this link for the guide. http://australianetwork.com/sportslounge/

If you don't have Now BB, then most big pubs (like Delaneys) have it on the big screen).

Cheers

TC 18 yrs ago
But the chances are that the broadcast will be encrypted, meaning that unless you have the decoder (available from Australia Network) you'll spend most of the match watching a blank screen. Details are available on the AN website.

ben the dog 18 yrs ago
Thanks all - I might contact AN and see if they have the NOvember tour rights.

Re encryption, Aus Network only encrypt if you are getting it on free to air somewhere. Their encryption page says that if you receive AN through Cable or Satellite (i.e. Now TV) then you don't need anything (and indeed the S14 and 3N games were on AN without encryption in HK).

Thanks again - BTD

ben the dog 18 yrs ago
Well, it was hardly a huge surprise, but Australia Network DO NOT have the rights to show the November tests involving the All Blacks and the Wallabies.

This presumably means that Now TV own the rights and aren't going to show them. What a surprise. (Well, that or they'll open a new "special" channel for an extra fee if you want to see the games).

Does anyone want to give me an up to date summary on how to get satellite tv hooked up in my flat? I've pretty much had enough of the poor service we get in Hong Kong...

ben the dog 18 yrs ago
I TAKE IT ALL BACK!

The ESPN site (www.espnstar.com) has updated its site in the last few days. I checked yesterday and it listed no rugby on 5 or 6 November. Checked it again just now, and the Eng v NZ game is being shown live on one of the sports channels.

Brilliant!

Ben you're right about the Rugby. Sorry mate, I can see now that the game on Saturday is actually a Rugby League match, and not Union. Bugger! I can't believe that mob at AN. Who wants to watch all that sh@t when there is a proper international series going on?

I would also be interested to find out where I can see these games.

AA

TC 18 yrs ago
ben,

The S14 matches WERE encrypted in HK. This is both (a) according to the ABC/AN advice received, and (b) my screen that always went blank at the start of the matches (although occasionally I got to see as much as the first 15 minutes). The decoder is needed at the point the signal 'enters' the building, and as I live in a hotel complex that didn't agree with my request (the ABC even sent them an email on my behalf pointing out how easy the process was) that meant it was out of my control. Result? No rugby.

Tana 18 yrs ago
AA - the league is international too. Different code but same result - Kiwis will clean up UK just like the ABs.

ESPN showing Eng v AB on Sun 5th 11.25pm so should be playing at most bars.

Tana,

Yes, I know that. I just don't like League as much as Union. Those counseling services in NZ are going to make a motza next year after the AB's get bundled out in the RWC semis again!

AA

ben the dog 18 yrs ago
tc - encrpytion was only if you didn't already subscribe to the service - so Now TV feed of ABC/AN was fine, as I watched the 3N games on Now TV and there were no issues.

A bit rough of your hotel not to get a decoder though.

ben the dog 18 yrs ago
Right - does anyone know whether any HK channels are showing the All Blacks v France game this weekend? ESPNSTAR.com shows nothing :-(

tgm 18 yrs ago
It's live on NOw CH. 714 (TV5 Monde) at 4am, but commentary will be in French (and I think it's a pay channel). SOrry not much help - I'm hoping it will be on in the bars on a satellite channel

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad