substituting yogurt for sour cream

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
I'm looking to subsitute some yogurt for sour cream as sour cream is hard to come by in Seoul. It's mostly for baking that I wish to do this. I've read on line that it is the "healthier" subsitute, and I just want to hear if others have tried it. (the recipe is for a delicious banana bread that has 1/3 cup sour cream in it.)

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
annebin 18 yrs ago
I too have substituted natural yoghurt for sour cream and the result is more than satisfactory, minus the fat!

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
i'm looking for answers regarding baking. (have substituted for dips already.) Either of you had experience substituting it in a baked recipe?

annebin 18 yrs ago
Made banana cake using yoghurt instead of sour cream a few years back using the same amount listed in the recipe, and it worked just fine. While it was lighter and more "liquid" in texture, the yoghurt I used (Danone Natural) wasn't runny so didn't need to drain.

But I did a bit of research and found that to substitute 1cup sour cream for baking, use 1 cup yoghurt + 1t baking soda.

http://homecooking.about.com/library/weekly/aa040802b.htm

annebin 18 yrs ago
Might as well share the recipe:

BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP CAKE

1/2c butter, softened

1 c sugar

2 eggs

3 ripe medium bananas, mashed

1/2 c sour cream (I used natural yoghurt)

1 1/2 c APF

1/2 t baking soda

1/4 t baking powder

1/2 t salt

1/2 c Nestle tollhouse chocolate chips

- In a mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar until well-mixed

- add the eggs, bananas and sour cream (yoghurt) and mix well

- Blend together dry ingredients (except choc chips) and add to creamed mixture

- pour half the batter into a 9x5 pan that has been buttered and floured

- Scatter chocolate chips over batter, then pour remaining batter on top to completely conceal choc chips

- Bake at 350 for about an hour (check at 50 minutes)

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
THANKS ANNEBIN!

your recipe is similar to mine, minus the choc chips. since you managed to do it - I will also try. Thanks for the yogurt/baking soda addition as well. I trolled the internet for a while and never found that combination. Just found a simple subsitution.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad