measles vaccination - help!

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by aquagul 18 yrs ago
Hi, my baby got her MMR vaccination (1st dose)on monday, 23 Oct. There had been no fever so far. But yesterday there were spots like mosquito bites 4 on her face, 3 on legs and 4 on the hands. Since we didnot go out anywhere I am presuming that these are the rashes that appear after 1 to 2 weeks. But she seems very itchy and has been getting up at night and crying since the vaccination day. Please advise what to do? Going to the MCH again is no use since they don't give after vaccine service. Private doctors are all to happy to give medicines. So please tell me what I can do to soften the vaccine side effects?

Thank you so much.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
@@ 18 yrs ago
Try using a little calamine lotion to help with the itching.

Matilda 18 yrs ago
A mild rash 7 to 10 days after a MMR vaccination is common. This rash is rarely itchy. As the rash appeared within a few days, and is itchy, I doubt it is related to the vaccination. Sand flies (mosquitos) are a-plenty this time of year and may cause a prolonged itchy rash on the exposed parts (hands, arms, face). There could be other reasons that need checking with a doctor.

Matilda Medical Centre - 2537 8500

9, Queen's Road Central

Matilda International Hospital - 2849 1500

http://www.matilda.org

Meiguoren 18 yrs ago
I have a daughter with allergies, and allergies can cause an all-over rash, hives, or swelling. I would highly recommend getting a doctor to look at it and confirm whether or not it looks like an allergic rash. I am not an alarmist about vaccines, but if it is truly an allergy, she probably should not take the second MMR shot. You need to get it looked at before the rash goes away, because it's important to have this info before you give the second shot. To treat a systemic allergic reaction, you can give benadryl, but you should talk to the doctor about that too -- whether to give it and how much. The dose for a true allergy "attack" is much higher than just a typical antihistamine dose, and you give it every 4 hours around the clock. Another allergy med that's not quite so sedating is clarytine. Again, under the supervision of a doctor and I'm not sure if you can give that to a baby.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad