Solids - How much?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by asking 18 yrs ago
My LO has been having solids 3x a day for about a mouth.

I have weaned her 90% from breast to bottle and she now takes anywhere from 500-650 mls per day.

I have been giving her 3-4 tablespoons of solid for per feed - approx 135-180 mls. This doesnt seem much to me but I worry about increasing in case she starts taking less milk (shes not a big milk drinker and its quite a feat to get her to take this 'recommended minimum' amount.

You read everywhere that the recommended amount of milk should be 600mls a day but Ive not seen anywhere the recommended amount of solid food. Does anyone know?

My LO is 7 months old.

How much solid food does your LO have per day?

Cheers

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
ruth yaron of super baby food says a 7 month old baby will eat about 3 food servings per meal, 1 serving being about 1-2 tablespoon (depending on what ice-cubes, containers, etc you use).

my 8 month old eats:

brekkie: 1 heaped tablespoon of oatmeal porridge (mixed with 60ml milk) and fruit (about 1/2 apple/banana/mango)

lunch: 5-6 heaped tablespoons of food

dinner:4-5 heaped tablespoons of food.

not much different from when he was 7 months except then he was just on 4 or less heaped tablespoons of food for dinner.

i also wonder if i should increase his food intake too but he seems to have enough or sometimes he will leave some behind. i am also concerned about his milk intake, our average intake is between 550-630ml per day.

firsttimemom 18 yrs ago
I just started my bubbs (5 months) on rice cereal, which he is wolfing down, even after drinking for 20-25 mins from both breasts. Then I discovered the bloody thing had sugar in it and it was making him hyper. Where can I find rice cereal or baby rice without sugar added and how much should I feed him? (he is over 8kgs).

Thanks much!

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
for white baby rice cereal, look for brands like bellamy (from australia) or organix (from UK).

mriehl 18 yrs ago
I was feeding rice cereal from nestle before (luckily only 2 times) and the baby really liked it...no wonder when you have a look what's in it. now i am feeding hipp organic rice cereal (100% rice flakes). you can get it in bumps to babes. they also have creamy rice cereal or something similar i think.

firsttimemom 18 yrs ago
Thanks very much, I'll go get them. I tried smashing rice into milk, he did not like it.

I was wondering why he liked it so much, then I tasted it and it was SWEET. I checked the ingredients and sure enough... (stupid me, I assumed that all baby rice flakes were sugarless... how wrong I was!).

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
hey asking -

I have a spreadsheet that has what I fed my daughter and how much (some records of serving size.) If that is helpful to you, I'll send it to you. My daugher is now 9 months, but I started the chart when she was 6 months. (now I don't keep up with it but it might serve useful.) Let me know.

scytran 18 yrs ago
Hi hkchoichoi

Do you mind emailing me the spreadsheet as well. Email address : tran.shirley@gmail.com

Thanks very much

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
scytran-

sent it to your box. check under your login name, go to control panel and check there.

scytran 18 yrs ago
Many thanks hkchoichoi.

sdale 18 yrs ago
Hi HKchoichoi

Me too very troubled by the amount of solids my 6 mth old baby should be consuming as he has not been able to sleep through the night ever since I introduced solids to him.

Would appreciate it if you could email me your information to ngdal@excite.com

Many thanks.

sheilachan 18 yrs ago
Hi hkchoichoi

Do you mind emailing me the spreadsheet as well. Email address: petshe@netvigator.com

Thank you!

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
sdale and sheila -

sent you both Pm's. To to control panel under your log in name on the left hand side, and check your messages.

crj 18 yrs ago
Midwife told me to keep feeding baby until he stopped opening his mouth!

Also, check out this thread on starting solids:

http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/forums/momsdads/threads/85714.asp

It lists a first two week schedule and has loads of great advice.

Fede 18 yrs ago
That's what I m doing too, I don't have a fixed number of spoons, I just feed my 6 months baby till she has enough, then i give her some milk as water to go with solids,twice a day plus half a fruit a day.Totally I try to breastfeed her 4 times in the day

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
yes, and every baby is different. What one child eats may be too much for another. CRJ's baby eats a lot, and burns it all off. Mine doesn't eat quite as much as hers, but is slowly increasing. She likes to have an additional 1/2 banana after most of her meals and then starts turning her head afterwards.

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
i second hkcc's comments.

and everyday is different too. i can serve the same food for 2 lunches - one of them he'll pant as i stir and wolf it down. the next day he might have a few bites, starts rubbing the food all over his face and give me the "what-are-you-making-me-eat" look!!

fel 18 yrs ago
Hi Hkchoichoi, just want to check with u if u still feed yr girl milk after her solid (when u first introduce solid when she 6mos old)?

Hi Fede, my girl is also 6mos old now, but i just started solid a few days ago. Can i know when you started introducing solid to her and when did u reduce to 4breastfeed a day? My girl seem to be taking her rice cereal very well, on her 3rd day, she can take about 3tbs. So far, i only introduce her 1 meal only. I notice after her solid, she don seem to take much of the milk when i breastfeed her. So i try to express out. I was also hoping to reduce the nos of breastfeeding a day once her solid meal is well-established. then i don need to express anymore.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad