Wedding present

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by hkkm 18 yrs ago
My husband and I have been invited to the wedding dinner of one of his staff. We intend to go (all the people in the department have been invited). Is $500/person still considered an appropriate amount for a present?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
TC 18 yrs ago
About that, but it can also depend on where the banquet is being held. We always give $1000 each so that there's a bit 'extra' after the cost of our seat at the banquet has been deducted.

Claire 18 yrs ago
Unless he is the boss...

hkkm 18 yrs ago
Thanks for this info. Past postings on this topic suggested $500, but they were a year or two old. We have never been to a local wedding dinner so no idea what is appropriate. (The only "wedding dinner" I have ever been to was a BBQ in the back yard!)

And yes, he is the boss, but I wouldn't spend HK$2000 on a wedding present for my brother, let alone an acquaintance!

Katetam 18 yrs ago
$ 500 "lai see" (red packet) is usually for 1 person.... if a couple is going together... then at least $ 1000 HKD. That's the minimum guidelines... for all the weddings I have been to and our friends and relatives expectations.

Close friends, I had to give $ 3000 HKD plus gifts like digital camera, appliances, IKEA gift certificates....

AYM 18 yrs ago
$500/person has been the standard minimum for over a decade. If the wedding banquet is being held at a hotel, then the cash gift should be more. For hotels like the Marriott, Island Shangri-La, and Conrad, I usually gave $800 to $1,000/person attending the banquet.

Some of our friends recently had a short discussion about this topic, most people agreed that $500 is considered under paid. At least, this is what we thought.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad