Petrol Prices

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by christian_moore 16 yrs ago

Are we being taken for a ride here ?, oil has been dropping steadily for months now yet we are still forced to pay HK$ 16.19 per litre. Surely we should be paying about $15 by now.

Why can't the government intervene and force them to lower the prices, they have managed to have a good run at the high prices now it's time to be sensible

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
macgarraidh 16 yrs ago
Of course we are being taken for a ride by the oil companies. I use Shell for my fuel as with their "Bonus Card" you do get a small discount. Sinopec used to do a "9 percent discount" on fuel over $300 but that seems to have come to an end.

The Hong Kong Government is not into telling the private sector what to do. What Government should do is lower the tax on fuel - as the price of oil has risen so has Government's revenue.

I know of one person who has been trying to get a kit to convert his private car to LPG. Government does not want this to happen...! What a town.

christian_moore 16 yrs ago

I have tried sinopec and they used to give you extra for free, but the quality must be poor because even with an extra 5 litres, the car drinks more than using Esso.

Converting to LPG seems a good option, also why are there no private cars here that run on diesel. In the UK diesel is way more expensive than Petrol but here it is the other way round.

190k 16 yrs ago
Govt. tax on a private car that runs on diesel is much higher that those on petrol. diesel is not taxed at all now. If it was taxed at the same rate a petrol it would be much more expensive. There is no diesel tax to help the transport industry which is very important to the economy here. Govt. wants to reduce the number of P/cars on the road thus they tax petrol and don't allow LPG P/cars. the Govt. has enough money petrol tax is not a major part of its revenue.

The Govt. for some reason believes that diesel is dirtier than petrol but many researches have proven that deisel is cleaner than petrol it just looks dirtier because you can see the pollutants that come out whereas with petrol you can't thus it looks cleaner. LPG is teh way to go but the Govt. is scared that tehre will be expolsions in accidents. Yet taxis and PLB have been running on LPG for years now and none have yet expolded or caught fire on teh same sacle a petrol cars.

As for the prices the providers put teh prices up when crude prices go up. But when crude goes down they claim taht tehy paid teh high price from teh refineries in S'pore and thus will use up the high price stck before reducing the price. Just wish they would use up the cheaper stock before putting up prices when crude goes up.For me I drive a 2.5 litre turbo diesel pick-up truck. No tax on fuel. Registered as a Light Goods vehicle annual license $2200. Annual test $650 or something like that. Fuel bill has dropped from $3500/month to $900/month because diesel is cheaper and also much more efficient. I also get on street parking much easier some free for goods vehicles, especially in Sai Kung at weekends and free parking in the goods vehicle loading and unloading areas of most shopping centres. Down sides Insurance max NCB %30 and insurance is nearly double that for P/cars at the same value and no access to the airport. All in all I feel I am on a winner and saving money and the environment. But LPG is the way to go until sustainable technology gets better.

190k 16 yrs ago
What happens when the car needs an annual test?

190k 16 yrs ago
Seems prices have dropped by about $0.40/litre for diesel

charlesking_1 15 yrs ago
Does anyone know of a person who deos conversions in hong kong

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad