Netvigator and wireless problem any ideas?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by steff 15 yrs ago
I am having trouble connecting my PC to netvigator over a wireless router and wonder if anyone has had the same problem.

Now, the PC will connect through the netvigator log in software to the internet when the cable goes directly to the modem.

However if I connect my router to the modem, the PC won't connect through the router either wired or wirelessly. It doesn't get an IP address. The wireless actually connects but no IP address is recieved through DHCP.

I know that the router is set up correctly as my laptop and iphone both get a dhcp IP address and can browse the internet.

Therefore I am wondering if the Netvigator software is still doing something to stop the PC connecting to the router via DHCP. I have tried disabling the wired network card on the PC, and removing the netvigator software, but still it doesn't work. Anyone else had this problem and been able to solve it?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
rasbro 15 yrs ago
not entirely clear what you have for a setup but what you want to do is setup your router to connect directly to your modem. to do this, you will have to access your router through the HTML interface. (usually using the router IP address).

first get all the information you need for your netvigator account, password etc etc ready.

then disconnect all your PCs from the modem. connect your router to the modem and one pc to the router.

access the router via HTML by typing the IP in the address bar of IE. you can get the router IP by looking at network connects and using the gateway IP.

go into setup and tell it to connect to the internet using PPPOE. use your netvigator username and password, make sure the router connects.

once you have done this the PC you are on should connect to the internet without the use of netvigator software. you don't need it.

any other PC you plug into the router directly will also work.

now if you want to use wireless you will have to set that up in the usual way. it will all still work.

just don't use the netvigator connection software.

if this setup does not work, or you want to work with what you have, check that no security settings restricting new PCs is setup on your router. the router is capable of restricting PCs based on Mac address.

one last thing you can try is delete all the network settings you have on the PC. even go so far as to remove the drvice from device manager. then look for hardware, add it back in, and run the wizard to connect to the internet (again wtihout the netvigator crapware)

steff 15 yrs ago
Thanks for your reply Rasbro. I've got the router set up in exactly the way you described, and it works correctly because my laptop and phone can get an ip adress and browse the internet. The PC won't connect though, either wired or wirelessly, unless I disconnext the router use the Netvigator software direct to modem. I think that the netvigator install has done something to the way ip works on the pc so that it can't work generically. I've even tried two different wireless cards as well as the on board wired lan port. Unfortunately simply uninstalling netvigator doesn't reset it. I'm going to try and reinstall the windows networking components if I can find an XP disk...

mcjack 15 yrs ago
I have a similar set up - I think I removed/disabled the Netvigator software and temporarily switched of the windows firewall on the PC, established a connection then turned the firewall back on.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad