Pros and cons of Discovery Bay?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Starbucks2 14 yrs ago
Hi

Considering a move to DB as it seems to be a more child friendly place than midlevels. If you have lived there, I'd be interested in hearing the real pros and cons.

The cons to me (having never lived there) are:

- feels a bit fake

- very expat (pro and con)

- commute into Central (always quoted as 25 mins on ferry but then there is the bus from DB apartment and the walk from the Central side to work ...)

Pros (having never lived there):

- more space

- more child friendly - parks/playgrounds and clubs which are more accessible and less expensive than HKCC and HKFC

- less traffic safety concerns for children

- more family orientated environment?

- less expensive than midlevels?

Thanks

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Susie1 14 yrs ago
I live in DB and love it.

any internal DB buses only take 5 mins to plaza/ ferry pier.

lots of good places to eat.

another supermarket opening in December, in the new North Plaza

taxies will be allowed through the tunnel to the new Hotel which opens 2010 in the north plaza.

Easy travel to Disney from Db

Lots of children and play areas for them

Roads are safer, less traffic

plenty of activities for children

, dance school, running club, swimming lesson, etc etc

Pet friendly place to live if you have pets

We actually don't have any small children ourselves, but there is always adverts for things for them to do at the clubs, and posted at the bus stops.

As for comparing house prices, I can only say we didn't look anywhere else but have been very happy living here, I think it is cheaper the Mid levels, with lots more low rise places, some with gardens.

cookie09 14 yrs ago
quick comment on two points:

- commute: buses are more than 5 min depending on where you live. in addition there is walking from bus terminals to your home (which can be again more than a step). last but not least, using buses means having to catch them which is an additional commute risk (less for work schedule but more when you like to be flexible)

- developer risk: if you consider to buy, i would strongly consider all the risks associated with the particular db developer

hongkongoldie 14 yrs ago
still living there for 15 years...love the space, food, convenience , beach, club houses

safety ,tranquility, used to live on the Peak, Repulse bay and Mid Levels ...will live here any day!!!!

missdj 14 yrs ago
Lived there and don't care to move back. Now live in Tung Chung and love it!. Still go to DB every few weeks to visit friends or for dinner.

PROS: lots of children to play with, convenience of kids activites, plaza for hanging out (adults or kids), space, yards/gardens in ground floor or townhomes.

CONS: Too busy in plaza, no taxis allowed in to DB (if you shopping and have lots or bulky items, have to take bus or ferry, ALWAYS relying on bus or ferry times and having to plan with their times (we found it a nuisance, especially if you miss a bus by 15 secs. you have to wait another 20 mins.) The grocery store prices are more than same store elsewhere, a little fake, too expat (we found).

Tung Chung however we love. MTR right there, 3 grocery stores to shop at, clubhouses with activities, parks/playgrounds, beautiful views, some flats have space, also there are townhomes or double flats to rent, lots of families, ++

Susie1 14 yrs ago
I have sent you a private message with some links for DB

Starbucks2 14 yrs ago
Thanks everyone. Any other comments welcome.

Susie - got the PM thanks. Will check it out.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad