Moving with partner to HK

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by teddysmum 14 yrs ago
Hi - I wonder if anyone can help me. I am applying for a job, teaching in HK. However, my partner is not a teacher, and works for a major hotel chain. We are going to try and sort out a move withing the company - does anyone know the likeliness of this happening? I heard its pretty hard to get moved nowadays, due to the local job situation.

Any advice appreciated!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
axptguy38 14 yrs ago
It is hard to get a company to PAY for a move. Getting a transfer if you pay by yourselves is a whole other matter. If there is a spot, your partner is a good employee and there is no internal red tape in the way, chances are good.

Since you are not married, I don't know if he/she automatically gets work permission, or even a visa. So that's a potential issue. Alternatively, you or the company pay for the other work visa, which in HK is not a very costly thing.

teddysmum 14 yrs ago
Many thanks for this - can I just clarify what you are saying - if the hotel chain offer my partner a position, and we pay for the work visa, would that be OK? How much is a work visa, and how long do they normally last? my contract with the school would be for a minimum 2 years. Would the purchses work visa be the same?

evildeeds 14 yrs ago
Firstly you cannot purchase a working visa. You must be sponsored by a company that can prove to immigration that no local is able to do the job. Usually work visas begin for 12 months. So for a valid visa giving residency in HK your partner would need to get a job and be sponsored on their own merits.

Since you are not married your partner does not qualify for a dependant visa either so that is not an option.

axptguy38 14 yrs ago
"if the hotel chain offer my partner a position, and we pay for the work visa, would that be OK?"

Certainly. However as evildeeds says you cannot yourselves get the work visa. The company would have to offer the job and pay for the visa. If they then decide to deduct it from the salary, effectively making you pay for it, is a matter between company and employee.

As far as I know visas are yearly and the cost is in the 10k range. But I am not entirely sure about the cost. Your visa will also be yearly, and renewed once for the duration of your two year contract.

The absolutely easiest way is to be married. Then he/she wouldn't be tied to one company and could work anywhere.

"You must be sponsored by a company that can prove to immigration that no local is able to do the job."

Typically "proving" this is not much of an issue in an industry like hotels.

oil88 14 yrs ago
I knew a couple who did this. Her partner offered to move on his own cost as she got the moving deal, and the hotel considered that as saving cost for hiring an expat, therefore he got the job offer (a different hotel). Plus, there are so many hotels in HK, new ones opening every month, so easy to get a job here if you are good enough.

teddysmum 14 yrs ago
Thanks everyone...its the start of a long lourney, but i feel much better about things.....phew!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad