Arts and crafts supplies

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by afoley 14 yrs ago
Hi. Can anyone tell me where to buy arts and crafts supplies that I can use for children's art projects? In the U.S., we had a place called Michaels that sold anything from yarn, paint, beads, special glues, trinkets for decorating, to stickers, fabrics and picture frames. Sometimes, you could just walk in to get ideas for fun projects with kids without having anything specific in mind. Is there anything like that in Hong Kong?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Snow Rose 14 yrs ago
1. Try Spotlight in Megabox in Kowloon Bay. They are your best bet. They sell yarn,too, which can be difficult to find in HK.

2. On Hong Kong Island, there is a shop called 'Artland' which is very good, rather more for the serious artist but they do do some kids stuff.

3. Otherwise, Bump2Babes and Toys Club have a reasonable selection of kids paints, the former better if you're looking for trinkets, beads & etc.

4. Picture frames - most people get the plain ones from Ikea and the child can decorate it himself

5. Beads - have you tried Sham Shui Po? Nam Cheong Street & Yu Chau Street. Other markets arounf HK may sell a smaller range of beads, also buttons, lace / ribbon, multi-coloured feathers all for cheap prices.

robfoley 14 yrs ago
Thank you Snow Rose! I will check them all out.

bakfaiyau 14 yrs ago
Is Spotlight at Megabox stilll there?

For actual art supplies the shops at Dafen painting village in Shenzhen are great. All the Shenzhen international schools get their art stuff there.

There are also great stationery shops with a range of art stuff around the Yi Zhang Zhong Xin area in Shenzhen. You would definitely get craft ideas from these shops.

You would need a China visa and the Map of Shenzhen which is sold in Dymocks booksellers in HK eg Stanley, Repulse Bay, Lyndhurst Terrace, Central Bdg, IFC etc and has a pocket bilingual taxi guide.

Happy to give you more directions on getting to these places by taxi if needed. Best border checkpoint is Lok Ma Chau/Futian Kou An on the Chinese side. Things in Shenzhen are miles cheaper than in HK.

kcmac 14 yrs ago
There's a bunch of places en route to the flower market in Prince Edward, I think the street name is Sai Yee Street, exit B2. One is a pro art shop, the other carries foam balls, picture frames, a whole bunch of stuff...

Ja5en 13 yrs ago
Anyone know where I can buy a 'pebble polisher' ?

judechris 9 yrs ago
Hello, for those who are looking for craft supplies places in Hong Kong, you can have a look at my post about the 10 shopping places every craft lover in Hong Kong should know:
http://www.petitboutdechou.com/2015/08/10-shopping-places-every-craft-lover-in.html
I hope this helps!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad