Luxury stays at Sri Lanka plantations

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Ed 14 yrs ago
The road from Colombo to Kandy was a traffic jam of cars, tuk-tuks (three-wheeled taxis), and buses—along with the occasional cow—so we didn’t arrive at Mackwoods’s Labookellie Tea Estate until after dark, missing the scenic hills and waterfalls of Sri Lanka’s central highlands. The next morning, when we opened the doors out to the patio, my friend Oleg and I were greeted not only by the stunning, terraced hills, but also by the strong, rich fragrance of tea coming from the thousands of surrounding bushes. We spent the morning strolling the grounds of the plantation and taking a tour of the tea factory. (The company makes its own brand of tea and sells wholesale to companies like Lipton). Then I had an in-room massage. Not a bad way to start a holiday.

More http://www.newsweek.com/2010/11/20/staying-in-luxury-on-sri-lanka-s-plantations.html

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Pilana 13 yrs ago
Yes we love the tea gardens too. We also recently stayed at a beautiful private villa in the countryside about 6kms outside Galle. Lovely gardens, really spacious with lovely colonial furniture and a great use of colour in the house. Unlike lots of other places this house is stylish but friendly and welcoming. The children loved the fireflies at night, the playroom and the pale green swimming pool. We rented the house but I believe the owners are thinking of putting it up for sale. www.pilanahouse.com

amay 11 yrs ago
La Cannelle is also very beautiful. It is on the Sri Lanka south Coast near Weligama. The whole plantation comes with the house when you rent it - peaceful, clean, modern, no noise! Heaven on earth compared to the noise and density of Shanghai. So many species of birds and flying peacocks! Very good food made by the private cooks unlike much of what we eat at hotels in Sri Lanka.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad