Boating license

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by MarathonHK 13 yrs ago
I am interested in passing the Pleasure Vessel Operator Certificate of Competency Grade 2.

However don t have much time to go to courses. Does anyone know if there is a book or papers somewhere to study for this at home?

I have contacted A&M about their books but they seem to think they need to be used with the courses and are useless on their own.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
haenseli 13 yrs ago
Hi there, there is a good book that you can buy in the shop at the Royal Hong Kong Yach Club in Causway Bay (http://www.pleasurecraft.com.hk/pleasurecraft/handbk1.htm). It includes questionaires and a deck of flashcard. A good book but still, I reckon that it would be difficult to pass the test if you did not practice the multiple choice questions. The test focus more on avoiding the pitfall of the questions rather on good competence of the matter.

MarathonHK 13 yrs ago
Thanks a lot. This is what I was looking for. It don t mind doing mock tests, I just want to avoid having to spend 8 hours listening to a guy read a book :D

CF 13 yrs ago
I agree that you will find it difficult to pass the test without the course. When we did it with A&M 5 years ago it certainly was not a waste of time - and definitely not just a guy reading from a book. I think it is worth doing, as stated above, to avoid the pitfalls. The questions are pretty much written to try and trick you. Also I am not sure these guys would let you sit their practice papers without doing the course....? An I really think the practice tests are a must. Both my husband and I have been around boats since before we could walk, have licenses in Oz and we both failed the outboard engine bit of the license, although passed everything else. It is not so easy....unfortunately!

Beer Monster 13 yrs ago
Concur with earlier posts. Got my Master and Engineer licences after attending respective courses (at Hebe Haven), which is a worry for others as it means I can legally be let loose on HK waters despite never having had any practical experience whatsoever.

F100 13 yrs ago
Dear CF,

Do you have the contact number for A&M?

Where is it?

thanks a lot.

190k 13 yrs ago
Look here

http://www.anmboating.com/index_e.html

F100 13 yrs ago
many thanks

Diego 13 yrs ago
Alan Chau (A&M Boating) is zero. Go for Tommy at Mastercraft

Tommy's mock up are more up to date & match the actual test questions

I have used both & got my license with Tommy, not Alan

190k 13 yrs ago
I got my Master II, engineer II and engineer I with Alan first time for each exam, every one I have recommend to him have also passed first time. He only teaches you and guides you, your the one who revises and puts pen to paper, so don't shoot the messenger

goudine 9 yrs ago
I don't know about the others but A&M is very tedious.

He gives you a book with only half of the information. Then you have to go to practice the 800 mock questions to get the rest of the information.

When you go practicing as soon as you take some notes of the missing points you have the assistant shouting at you "Watch the regulation - No copy of the questions". I don't copy the question I take notes because some information was not given to me and I am studying ...

Maybe not everyone is like me but I prefer to study something in a book and then practice a little with some tricky questions instead of having to extract information from hundred mock questions (where the right answer is mixed with 3 wrong answers ...) and having to remember it by heart as I can't write anything on a paper

At least you know what to expect and I am not sure there is a better solution in Hong Kong

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad