Left HK with unpaid debt / tax

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Kristophe 12 yrs ago
Hi all,

Just wondering if I could obtain some advice from you all on an issue.

I used to work in HK till about a year ago. While there I had 2 credit cards with SC and Amex. I abruptly lost my job and had to leave the country. I was only able to pay the half of my tax and was unable to pay the remainder and at the same time could not pay back my credit card debt. I tried to speak with my credit card companies but in vain.

Now, I am back on my feet and has full intention of clearing the debts. The problem is I will be moving to HK for training for 6 months.

I am able to clear the tax but I am not sure I will be able to fully pay the credit card debt within the period and intend to clear after leaving HK.

I am at risk of being arrested or even not be allowed to enter / leave HK due to this?

Thanks

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
punter 12 yrs ago
Fred, where did you get that info?

As far as I'm concerned, the Revenue Department and the Immigration Department are not "talking" to each other. I would "Guess" that you will be free to get in and out of Hong Kong without incident.

To pay your back taxes, you need to go to the IRD and to pay your card debts, talk to your bank/s.

Kristophe 12 yrs ago
Thanks all. Fred, how certain are you about that information? It is quite a big decision for me as whether to postpone moving to HK for a year till I clear my debts and taxes or move in and clear while working there.

I appreciate your help guys.

Cheers

kyber 12 yrs ago
If you pay your tax before coming to HK the immigration will not stop you entering. As for your credit card debts this is a civil matter which is not linked to the immigration department unless you have been charged with fraud but your credit rating may have been affected by these debts therefore you may not be in a poistion to obtain credit in Hk for some time.

arrigoa 11 yrs ago
How did everything work out in the end?

fideliza 9 yrs ago
Hello Kristophe (Or anybody who was in the same situation). Can anyone share their experience please?

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad