Moving from USA -- What Would You Bring

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by flagler1 11 yrs ago
Hello --

Getting ready to move from the USA to Hong Kong. Looking for words of wisdom from more experienced expats. Anything you would bring the US to HK -- either cause you can't find it, or its much cheaper? Love to hear what people wish they would have brought. Clothes, spices, electronics, beauty products, medicine?

Thanks!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
smp6 11 yrs ago
Stock up on clothes (and underwear if you're female) since it's near impossible to buy anything if you're larger than a US size 10. If you take large shoes, buy what you need now before you get here. Lots of the shoes in Hong Kong stop at US size 10 for ladies and 11 for men. You can get electronics and medicines here, it's cheaper and easier. I buy beauty products from strawberry net dot com. If there's anything you think you'll miss from the US then open an account with my US dot com. Cheap and easy shipping for anything you want. Good luck!

boddingtons 11 yrs ago
I would bring a sense of understanding & perspective that where your coming to will soon be more powerful and important than where you are coming from.

nosidam 11 yrs ago
It is always good to bring some local items from home. Many people say you will feel more comfortable in your apartment or house if you have some of your favorite items, ie. college shirt, hat, etc. Also many Western cosmetics such as deoderants, ie Mitchum, Right Guard are not offered in Hong Kong and you will not find Advil or Tylenol or "Just for Men." :) There are always drop shippers who can ship almost any item and there are no import taxes but you will still have to pay for shipping. But, whenever I go to the US I bring back allot of coffee beans. If you have space in your bags bring them. They are 2x the price almost anywhere in Hong Kong, thanks to the way the are globally distributed. (A Chinese/Austrailian coffee dealer explained it to me once). As I always tell people in the US I can buy any luxury good or custom made suit in a day but it is the little "stuff" that is hard to find.

nat1969 11 yrs ago
i would (and do) bring the following - certain spices (taco mix, dried mexican chilis etc), clothes (much cheaper in the US for everything - even if you go to stanley or other markets in HK - you still pay less in the US at old navy, target etc); certain toiletries (tampons) and shampoos are either non existant or very expensive - otherwise you can get everything else in HK as long as you are aware of the sticker shock. Best bet sometimes is to order and ship from the US as there is no customs duty in HK.

seablues24 11 yrs ago
Books if not an E reader, Advil, Neosporin,favorite deodorant. Otherwise you can get most anything else.

Elegiaque 11 yrs ago
I moved to HK a couple months ago (albeit from London) and recently took a trip back to the US. It might be good to have all the household things you need -- sheets and towels, as I was finding it kind of tedious to find the shops where you could get the best deals on these things here. (In the US I knew exactly where to go.) Good bar soap is practically non-existent, so I stocked up majorly on that. I also did a lot of shopping for a shower curtain, table cloths, etc. as there is so much more selection in the US.

Surprisingly, some computer things are cheaper in the US, although you'd have to be a bit of a geek to know this. :) I came back with a CPU, memory and a Kindle, which is much cheaper there. Wish I had gotten a camera, too.

I also brought back -- I kid you not -- vinegar, since I haven't figured out what it is called in Chinese yet, that is, if it does exist in large, cheap quantities (rubbing alcohol is easy to buy here, though!). Since living abroad, I've always kept a stash of some American seasonings, although I also wish I had brought more spices (esp. from London). If you're from the south, then definitely bring some tortillas in your carry-on!!! They costs something ridiculous like $8 USD here and wouldn't be half as good! I've now got stacks of them in my fridge and will soon try to learn how to make them. :)

One other thing -- so far I haven't found where to buy cheap, good canned tomatoes. Generally tomato things seem to be a bit rare. As well as olives. But leave the Spam at home -- this must be the most spam-loved place on earth!

Hope this maybe helps!

funbobby 11 yrs ago
Also Prizemart and A&M have North American brands. If you use stick deodorant, stock up as everything is roll-on/spray here...and large electronics (TV/home stereo/computer/camera) are much cheaper in the States (high shop rents here and no big box stores) but you must make sure it's 220V to work here

j_whyte 11 yrs ago
Deli products are very expensive where they are available. When i return from my trip to the UK i will be bringing jams, tea, coffee, pesto, balsamic vinegar, marmite, maple syrup and lots of cheese. Hope you don't like cream because you won't find it here.

Linda.biek 11 yrs ago
We moved to HK from Nashville, TN about 5 months ago and came over with 2 suitcases each. (husband and 2 children) Before moving, we had the same question as you and we told to bring a variety of different items. Upon arriving, we learned that it was a lot easier to adopt out new home and learn to live differently. The only thing that is difficult to find is clothing for women who wear larger than a size 10, as indicated earlier. There are international stores throughout HK that sell most items that you would want from the US. The others, we've learned to live without. HK is a wonderful city with sites, smells and experiences that make it all worth the sacrifices. Enjoy!

sarah stanford 10 yrs ago
I always get oversized shoes in US, the alternative in HK do exist in outlet (there is only one), and the Peak.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad