iPhone - which carrier?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by mub2002 11 yrs ago
Due to the drawn out and impending death of my phone I am about to purchase a new phone. Any advice on best carrier for iPhone 5?

I currently have a 3G lite China Mobile (People's) Sim Card. What would be the benefits of changing to say Smartone as a carrier rather than just putting my simcard in an iphone and continuing with China Mobile if I bought just the handset? I have unlimited data already and China Mobile provide Nano simcards for iphones. Since China Mobile seems cheap I thought this option would be more popular but doesn't seem to be common, why?

Thanks!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
a-mann 11 yrs ago
I used China Mobile for a year and they were OK. They have their own 4G spectrum but resell others' 3G spectrum.

But the best network in HK is CSL/1010/One2One. If you are using a phone that has heavy data usage you are better off going with the best network. 1010 and One2Onw are the same network but 1010 costs more because of superior customer service.

My suggestion would be to sign up an iPhone deal with One2One.

Also be aware that iPhone 5 engages in SIM blocking in HK. You will not be able to use it on some networks - certainly not PCCW-HKT, perhaps not on others ... (I don't know as i use an iPhone 4) ... make sure you check. I know that Apple has done a deal with SmarTone so it works with them. Good luck.

nttaipei 11 yrs ago
I would suggest buying as phone outright & then jumping on a plan. I bought a iphone 3 in 2010 and locked into a 2 year contract. 18 months later I upgraded to a 4s and they gave me a new 2 year contract, and added the remaining 6 months from my 1st contract on. Bottom line is I am now paying over HK$400 per month for data and calls. I am stuck with this contract until April 2014.

I could get a call & data plan with Three HK for HK$138 now, but have to wait another year.

Best to pay up front & be free to choose as plans change.

AngelCameron 11 yrs ago
I think you need some more suggestions before purchasing iPhone, because so many brands are revealing more features than the iPhone. Like SonyExperia Z is revealing their features.

lost expat 11 yrs ago
Don't try 3. Very hard to believe because I've used it myself. A friend bought her phone last year ago and recently switched to 3, which is supposed to be one of the best, but after the switch, had multiple non delivery and non receival problems with different phone numbers, about 20% of sms sent in July alone! She sent some messages but there was no sent tick, some sent to her arrived en masse 1 week later! She went to the 3 shop but the staff were unhelpful, saying not their job and asking her to call customer service who said according to their system, the sim card worked. that was it! No apology, no compensation for all the missed messages, some very important ones about work! In short 3 is complete rubbish.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad