Power converter...should I be concerned?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by bkdclahk 11 yrs ago
I bought a 500W power converter to be able to run my US Xbox 360 and my hair clippers (because I can't seem to find any here) in HK. I've never used one before so I decided to give it a shot on my clippers first to be safe. They turn on but much louder and more vibration than before. I'm a little concerned to put them near my head or to try my xbox. Should I be? Is this normal? What's causing what seems like over powered clippers if this thing is supposed to be converting them? Any help is much appreciated. Honestly I'm more concerned with the clippers than the xbox because I've got a few more days before I start to look unkempt. This is my 2nd week on my new job and I'm trying to keep up appearances. Thanks!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Beermoney 11 yrs ago
I am no sparky but this is what my comment would be.

If you have bought a power converter to step down from 220V to 120V it will step down the voltage correctly but they normally don't change the hertz unless it a expensive complicated unit.

HK is 50HZ and the US is 60hz which isn't normally a big issue unless you dealing with a rotary motor or the type of motor in your clippers.

The unusual thing is the you are lowering the HZ from 60 to 50 by using HK electrical supply, so the motor should run slower. I have no idea as to why it would be running faster! The noise could be be from no oil! Hair clippers need oil on the blades and when they don't get it they get noisy.

As for you Xbox I would suggest that you look at the spec's and see what it is rated to.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/console-power/power-supply

If your keen to keep it without your step down transformer try taking it to the Wanchai computer store where the guy fix's them and ask if he can put a 220-240 PSU (power supply unit) in it.

Last thing is if you want to buy some hair clippers in HK I know of two shops that sell them, so send me a message if you want the addresses.

Please support our advertisers:

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad