Extension of stay in Hong Kong

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by nizzie.wong 11 yrs ago
Hello! Me and my boy friend have decided to move here in Hong Kong and try our luck if we can get a job so we will be able to stay here for a long time. But in the mean time, we're having issues and how I can stay here longer. We were in Singapore before coming here, I was working and he's on vacation. I'm a Filipino citizen and he's French. He was able to get 90 days and I was only able to get 14 days which is devastating but when I checked on line that Filipinos were only allowed by law, to stay here for 14 days. We went to Macao the other day and I was able to get another 14 days but we are thinking that we might need to stay here longer in order to get a job. We really don't know what's the best thing to do.We don't know if we should get married or be officially engaged, we are really clueless since we don't know so much about the law here in Hong Kong. I am hoping that there will be someone who is kind to give us good advise :)

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Lucane01 11 yrs ago
Don't think engagement will do any good, and marriage only works if he has a work visa or better. But if he had a work visa he could simply hire you as his maid.

Not an expert on this at all - just going by my understanding.

woods99 11 yrs ago

The best way to find a job in Hong Kong is to be in Hong Kong (unless you are in a highly sought after occupation).

What is your partner's occupation?

nizzie.wong 11 yrs ago
Actually we are now in Hong Kong, he's an IT Security Expert and I'm a nurse. We're hoping to find one so we can stay here longer, legally. We really prefer Hong Kong than Singapore. Thanks for all the replies....

punter 11 yrs ago
I think that the only way for you to be here together is:

(1) He find a job, then get a work visa.

(2) You two get married, and he can apply for a dependent visa for you.

It might be easier for him to find a job than you in your current legal/immigration status.

nizzie.wong 11 yrs ago
I just realize that when we came here that the only job open for Filipinos is domestic helper. Just a question punter, if we get married, even if he still doesn't have a job here, can I stay here longer?

punter 11 yrs ago
Sorry, no. The 14 days given to you was based on your nationality. If you get married, your natinality won't change immediately.

nizzie.wong 11 yrs ago
Thanks a lot Punter! Have a great day!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad