Heating formula in microwave

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by wombles 11 yrs ago
Hi, does anybody else heat their babies formula in a microwave? I prepare the formula and store it in the fridge. When baby is hungry I take out the bottle, empty milk into a clean mug or glass (never plastic due to chemicals) and heat for 20 seconds and put back into bottle and shake to get rid of hot spots. Others say I shouldn't do it this way but I don't see a problem. Studies have shown microwaves kill live cells in breast milk but doesn't effect formula and its nutrient. AWho else does it the way I do? Thanks

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Slammy 11 yrs ago
Usually it says on the formula tin that it should be disposed of after 1 or 2 hours if not drunk. Maybe the manufacturer wants to sell more formula, or maybe some of the nutrients will 'deteriorate' after a while... ? Don't know actually.

Why do you need to prepare the formula ahead of time anyway?

wombles 11 yrs ago
I make it in the morning as it can be kept in the fridge for up to 24 hours. It just makes my life easier having it ready made, just have to heat it up. If any is left in the bottle after a feed then it is discarded. Apparently from studies I've read the nutrients don't deteriorate, only with breast milk as it contains live cells and formula doesn't. Plus your not heating the formula up enough to lose the nutrients. (so I'm led to believe)

Slammy 11 yrs ago
What I do to make things easier is put boiling water into a thermos flask. So whenever I need to make formula, I just scoop out the powder into the bottle, and then fill it with hot water from the flask - sometimes I have to put in some cold water to make it the right temperature. It's very fast because I don't need to wait to heat anything up - just pour and stir.

hostie 11 yrs ago
i think the main thing you have to be careful with is that it can heat very quickly and there is always a risk of scolding

drew54 11 yrs ago
i do that sometimes, i don't see any problem.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad