were there any hong kong locals in legislative council under british rule?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by lennox73 11 yrs ago
Be grateful for details

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
woods99 11 yrs ago

Yes, there were. My memory is a bit hazy, but members who were not government office holders were classed as Unofficial Members. I assume there were also some Hong Kong people were also Members, for example, Donald Tsang, when he was the Financial Secretary.

samsonight 11 yrs ago
sure there were dozens in lego and exco. some were appointed, directly elected and in FCs. if you want specific details, google is your friend...

lennox73 11 yrs ago
As far as the legislative council is concerned, what is the difference to Hong Kong between post and pre colonial times? The reason for asking this is my cousin who is a British born chinese is discouraged by the increase influence the mainland has and said that Hongkong was better under british rule and many of the big companies have left HKG now, when asked to name one company, he couldnt! he is prejudiced against the mainland

woods99 11 yrs ago

Lennox, Not sure what your question is about? Legco, or the British influence vs the PRC influence.

When I first moved to HKG, in 1976, the place was dominated by the British. Gradually, over the years, that domination changed markedly, some of the famous British corporations were either taken over, or just disappeared.

Back then, the possibility that Hong Kong would ever revert to Chinese sovereignty was just a joke, if it was ever thought of at all.

The changes that have happened since those days now look to have been inevitable, with the benefit of hindsight. First the rise and rise of local Hong Kong entrepreneurs, and an equivalent rise in the aspirations of some Hong Kong people (perhaps most) for some kind of self-government. Secondly, the totally inevitable rise of the power of the PRC over Hong Kong, which meant, among other things, that self-government was not going to happen in Hong Kong, until it could happen in all China's provinces.

The possibility that the PRC will undergo massive political change is always there I suppose, but in the meantime, Hong Kong will progressively become more and more "Chinese", that is, more and more a part of the PRC.

Some people were better off in the days of colonialism. Some people were better off in the days leading up to, and immediately after, the handover. Some people are better off now. That is just the nature of life, you could look in all countries and find similar trends.

rititt 11 yrs ago
If u don't know yet, hkg is part of china, under the "1 country 2 systems". Defense and foreign affairs are controlled by china.

rititt 11 yrs ago
It was the ouverture of china which made hkg what it is today, after mr deng visited Shenzhen and declared it's good to make money and so everyone rushed into hkg, then a gateway to china but more and more they go direct to china so hkg role as a gateway is finished and now they will put a SEZ in shanghai.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad